Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having problems with the balljoints on my '03 Dakota Sport Plus (28K miles). I won't bore anyone with the long story, but I've had one lower balljoint replaced under warrantee, which didn't stop the clunking noise. Today, while at the dealership, we figured out that the left upper balljoint is bad -- the wheel can rock a good 1/4". :cussing:

I have the Hotchkis suspension and Bilstein shocks on my truck. The service manager became rather hostile once he figured this out. He ranted about chasing down noises on a truck that had been altered, etc. Once I was able to competantly discuss the truck with him, and he figured out I knew what I was talking about, he switched back to civil.

End result -- they won't cover the replacement of the balljoints.

My question is, has anyone else had problems with aftermarket parts voiding the factory warrantee?

I understand the Dodge position, but know that the Hotchkis gear did not cause the failure.

In the end, I will replace all of the balljoints using the greaseable ones from Moog. I can do it, but hate doing it after 28K miles. I also own a '61 Falcon and I didn't have to rebuild the suspension until after 43 years and 260,000 miles after it was built.

·
Registered
826 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rick,

Thanks for that link. I wasn't aware of the Magnuson Moss Act. I am reading up on it, as well as following the links provided from that page.

Your message has inspired me to pursue this further. There's no reason to give up so early.

Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts