Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would check one of the more simple repairs off my list and fix the horn. In the process of doing so I found some mystery wires bunched in with my horn wires off the harness. The horn wires are green and red and this mystery wire is puple and blue i think. My Haynes manual only mentions the green and red set and I can't find another connector within its reach that isn't plugged in. Anyone have any idea what this could be? The truck seems to operate fine, i just want to make sure im not going to be chasing this down later and I'm in the process of replacing the heater core and my dash is all pulled and unplugged.

Here's a picture of the horn wires and the mystery wires in my hand. Anyone know what it's for? Lol
Hand Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Finger

·
Registered
97 Dakota 3.9 pre-pre runner build
43 Posts
Some dakotas have flood lights, if yours is not equipped then I presume that’s the harness for them. Most of the harnesses are the same on small equipment on the trucks, the only time they change is with specific power trains. Same thing goes for the secondary cigarette lighter, power mirrors, and the like. Their harnesses are still on the truck, and wired in, even if you don’t have that equipment on your truck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok cool that makes sense. Like when I took off the door panels I noticed I had a connection for a tweeter speaker in my driver door despite not having an actual speaker or cut out in that panel like the passenger side. Thanks for the reply!

·
Home School Valedictorian
3,475 Posts
Thought I would check one of the more simple repairs off my list and fix the horn. In the process of doing so I found some mystery wires bunched in with my horn wires off the harness. The horn wires are green and red and this mystery wire is puple and blue i think. My Haynes manual only mentions the green and red set and I can't find another connector within its reach that isn't plugged in. Anyone have any idea what this could be? The truck seems to operate fine, i just want to make sure im not going to be chasing this down later and I'm in the process of replacing the heater core and my dash is all pulled and unplugged.

Here's a picture of the horn wires and the mystery wires in my hand. Anyone know what it's for? Lol
View attachment 111774
That looks like the connector for the ambient air temp sensor. If you had the overhead console with the temp display, there would be a sensor on the outside of the core support on the passenger side.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks like the connector for the ambient air temp sensor. If you had the overhead console with the temp display, there would be a sensor on the outside of the core support on the passenger side.

Oooh, ok. I don't have the temp display in my overhead so I guess it's just gonna stay floating around in there lol. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts