Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Trouble Maker
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone mounted lights on theyre hood like a jeep?
For example:

Has anyone made that work or have any ideas on how I could make that work?

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
For one, it isn't near the hood. But, it is easily done, just mount and aim.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Has anyone mounted lights on theyre hood like a jeep?
For example:

Has anyone made that work or have any ideas on how I could make that work?
Not that I have seen, get a cheap push bar you'll be better off.

Use 2 of the Dodge Ram style antenna mounts that bolt to the rear fender bolts.

http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=15042&eventPage=1
eh, they really are not designed to handle the weight of the lights while driving. I have one of those antenna mounts on my Dakota for my CB antenna, at highway speeds I can watch entire mount flex a little. Put a light on there and it will flex even more and risk damaging the paint or that bolt that it's attched to on the fender.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
...eh, they really are not designed to handle the weight of the lights while driving. I have one of those antenna mounts on my Dakota for my CB antenna, at highway speeds I can watch entire mount flex a little. Put a light on there and it will flex even more and risk damaging the paint or that bolt that it's attched to on the fender.
A CB antenna usually sticks up in the air a good ways (depending on what you're using)...I imagine the drag is causing most of that flex. I'd think a light (not being so tall) wouldn't push on the bracket so much...might work just fine.

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
A CB antenna usually sticks up in the air a good ways (depending on what you're using)...I imagine the drag is causing most of that flex. I'd think a light (not being so tall) wouldn't push on the bracket so much...might work just fine.
+1 if those brackets can stand a 60mph drive with a 4 foot tall antenna twisting on it, then those lights should be nothin for them to withstand.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I was thinking about that as a summer project. The hella lights I have are not very heavy, so i was thinking that the CB mounts might work as long as they stick out enough to clear the hood and let it open, but I havent looked into it yet. I also saw a dakota at a dealership that had the cop A-pillar light and it didnt look to bad, but that is a way too big of a commitment for me, lol, but it did look cool with a light in that area.

If you try it, Id like to see pics.

·
Frog Legs
1,602 Posts
dude a light woukd have way more drag....think of the surface area for the wind to catch...donot use those brackets. Make some out of mild steel.

·
Go Rangers!!
3,159 Posts
dude a light woukd have way more drag....think of the surface area for the wind to catch...donot use those brackets. Make some out of mild steel.
The wind would not hit the light as much, the front of the truck would push the wind up over the lights if they are mounted that low.

·
3,230 Posts
Of course they weigh more, but they dont have the back and forth momentum whipping the shit out of them mounts either.
exactly. and there's also leverage. put 2 lbs of pressure on the top of a light thats only 6" tall, you'll only exert a little more than 2 lbs on the bracket. put that same 2 lbs of force on the end of a 4 foot antenna, the force will be multiplied by a whole lot more because of the length of the antenna. same principal as using a breaker bar as opposed to a 12" ratchet... longer lever = more force/torque at center with the same amount of exertion.

i understand the light has more surface area to catch wind, but have you ever just flicked an antenna back and forth on one of those mounts and watched the mount? it rocks back and forth quite a bit, even just under the tiny weight of that antenna.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
..donot use those brackets. Make some out of mild steel.
The brackets are Stainless Steel and are stiffer than a comparable thickness Mild Steel bracket.

I have my 39" tall dual band ham whip on one and it doesn't flex or move around.

·
3,230 Posts
I have my 39" tall dual band ham whip on one and it doesn't flex or move around.
we have CB's in all our trucks at the quarry. the mounts arent what i see flex, its the sheet metal. we had a few that were just sheet metal screwed into the inside lip of the bed of the F 150s and they twist all over the place just because of where they're mounted.

ive always liked the way those lights look on jeeps. but where would you mount these brackets and lights to look like this on a dakota?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts