Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here making their own intake out of pvc?
Eddy C

·
Registered
103 Posts
Homebrew

Yeah. It was cheap, functional, LOUD, easy, and it doesn't melt like K&N says it does. I have been driving in Houston heat with it for a while and it is doing just fine. I painted it to match my truck (silver) and had to make some brackets to support the cone filter, but it is otherwise doing very well. I still have a stock exhaust (removed 3rd cat) and the engine is now the loudest part of the truck. I would recomend it to anyone who is thinking about getting the Shaker Hood on their truck, but don't have the $1000 to do so yet. I can't attest to the HP gains from the 3'' homebrew intake, as I changed to Autolite plugs, 180 t-stat, and bored out my throt body at the same time. All of those mods have really brought my '01 4.7 4X4 to life.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
opie34705 said:
Yeah. It was cheap, functional, LOUD, easy, and it doesn't melt like K&N says it does. I have been driving in Houston heat with it for a while and it is doing just fine. I painted it to match my truck (silver) and had to make some brackets to support the cone filter, but it is otherwise doing very well. I still have a stock exhaust (removed 3rd cat) and the engine is now the loudest part of the truck. I would recomend it to anyone who is thinking about getting the Shaker Hood on their truck, but don't have the $1000 to do so yet. I can't attest to the HP gains from the 3'' homebrew intake, as I changed to Autolite plugs, 180 t-stat, and bored out my throt body at the same time. All of those mods have really brought my '01 4.7 4X4 to life.
Ya... he has it right... if you JUST want it functional... get the homebrew... but if you want it show quality like me... ur gunna need a professional tube stuff like that.

Hey opie... where in h-town are ya? I'm up here in young town... or I mean Aggieland,... COLLEGE STATION.. hahaha. You should get on www.dodgetalk.com and see the post about the texas meet. I think it's june 12,13 on the beach somewhere. I hope you can make it man. My AOL sn is YAAAABUDDY03 just IM me some time... we'll shoot the sh*t.

Paul

·
Registered
103 Posts
Opie '03

I can't get AOL at the office. I graduated from aTm last may and am working up in Spring for The Man.

I'll check the site.

On another note, I got smoked by a silverado yesterday in the rain.
not happy.

I am more motivated than ever to get the exhaust, Hypertech, cams, etc....

·
Registered
103 Posts
CAUTION!!!!

If you are going to make your own PVC intake, make sure to assemble it AND GLUE IT before you paint / sand / drill into / onto it. The PVC glue does not play well with spray paint. I was driving to grandma's for Easter (4 hr trip) and it came apart on me. All the pipes stayed together, but it is not air tight anymore. There aren't any serious problems right now, but I am going to Wally World to get some epoxy or rubber cement (or super glue) to fix it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I started off with the PVC piping and did not really like the look of it (I did not paint it). Then I was looking at it, and just out of curiousity I tried to put the K&N filter directly onto the the stock intake boot and it fit (after taking the boots clamp off). So I clamped the filter over the boot and zip tied it down to a bracket I made and it worked great. Probably not getting the coldest possible air, but it is better than stock and was only about $50 and 15 minutes of work.

·
Old Timer
1,270 Posts
I did a PVC 4 years ago and its still works today! Looks far from great but for the bang for the buck its works! Here the link to the page on how I made it.Custom Home Brew One thing I did do was put back in the "air hat". and it seem to help with engine noise. What ever those baffles do, they do help.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did the homebrew pvc intake with my Airaid filter/heat shield..butt dyno tells me maybe a small difference mid to upper range..I'm going to paint it to match the the truck..but I will say..this mutha is loud...almost drowns out the Flowmaster at WOT..I dare say it's amost annoying...sounds like the truck is bogging to sometimes..like with half throttle accelaration..anyway I'll give it a few more days before I decide if I'm keeping it or not...it only cost me $22 at the Depot.

·
Old Timer
1,270 Posts
Conman said:
but I will say..this mutha is loud...almost drowns out the Flowmaster at WOT..I dare say it's amost annoying...sounds like the truck is bogging to sometimes..like with half throttle accelaration..anyway I'll give it a few more days before I decide if I'm keeping it or not...it only cost me $22 at the Depot.
I put back the hat (square part with the 2 chambers) and the sounds decreased and engine likes it!

·
Old Timer
1,270 Posts
P.S. I need to up date my web page about my home brew intake.

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
Conman said:
this mutha is loud...almost drowns out the Flowmaster at WOT..I dare say it's amost annoying...sounds like the truck is bogging to sometimes..like with half throttle accelaration
do you get that ricer WHOOOP!?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts