Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Money-pit Durango
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure which alternator I have, but would I hurt anything by installing the higher amp alternator if I do have the lower output one?

·
Registered
368 Posts
The high amp alternator is 136 amp and comes standard with the factory towing package. The lesser alternator is around 117 amps, which is still plenty of power depending on what you plan to do.

As the 5.2/5.9L engines is an old design, a similar year Ram had a 160-180amp alternator available on its towing package. I'm not sure of exact part names but I can only 'assume' that the alternators are interchangeable.

If you can still read the tag on the alternator you have, you can call a dealer to verify the output, or email chrysler/dodge directly. Swapping alternators won't hurt anything. If you don't need the added electrical power in low speed driving/off road situations I wouldn't be overly concerned.

·
Money-pit Durango
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on switching to a e-fan in the near future. Plus I'm going to be running 2 amps soon as well. So I figured I need to replace the alternator cause it's starting to go, so why not right? From what I saw I thought the lower output was a 90 amp?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I plan on switching to a e-fan in the near future. Plus I'm going to be running 2 amps soon as well. So I figured I need to replace the alternator cause it's starting to go, so why not right? From what I saw I thought the lower output was a 90 amp?
the 90 amp where for the rare 3.9l that went mostly in the dakota's... all the 98's that i have seen with the 5.2 or 5.9 came as listed above.. 117a w/o tow and 136 w/tow... IIRC, the sticker on my alt says its a 117a

I often thought of adding a larger alt to mine as i am running a CB w amp, digital scanner, analog scanner, traffic advisor, halogen rotators on the roof, 4 corner strobes and a couple of rechargeable toys in the back. kind of got side tracked as the 117a has been handling the load like a champ.

·
Money-pit Durango
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, cool. Was just a thought, probably won't need it then it sounds like.

·
Money-pit Durango
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't seen a 117 on a single parts website. Not even rockauto.com. I'll probably just go with the 136 just for insurance. Especially for when I get that e-fan installed. I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to melt a wire or something.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I can't complain about my stock 136amp alternator. It's been running strong for 13 years, 142K miles - of which, 10-12K miles is towing at 2700-3200rpm on the highway. Not to mention the hours I spend sitting (nearly parked) in traffic on the interstates around major US cities going down to Texas. I had a CB for two years when I had the travel trailer. It made for getting directions much easier as not all parks are listed on my GPS. I found the CB too bulky and took it out after I sold the trailer.

·
Money-pit Durango
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just waiting for parts to show up. Gotta love buying a vehicle that I don't think any maintenance was performed except oil changes. Trying to get it running right and reliably then gotta fix the a/c. Looking like my water pump might be leaking too now. Have about 143k on it right now.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I upgraded my amp a while back. I went with a Mec Man Alternator. I think I got the 270amp version, which was the highest. You have to do the big 3 upgrade! I have the big 3 upgrade done, then a 0 gauge line with fuse and relay running to the rear. There I have a second battery, one 12inch sub with amp, the 2 more amps for all the door and panel speakers (I run a Car PC so speakers need amps). Rear battery is always charged. Love the setup.

·
Money-pit Durango
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just installed my new one like 15 mins ago, so far awesome. Got one from rockauto.com, pure power brand I believe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just purchased a 250 amp alternater for my 2000 durango rt 5.9 . The pulley is too small. Can i change the pulley and use it or is it too big for the truck. I have a stereo system and wanted a bigger alternator than my 136 amp. Would there be an issue with this big alternator if the pulley was changed?

·
Registered
609 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts