Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys i am having a brain fart and I keep doubing my self

Do I attach the black wire with the metal ring to the body of my truck ( ground it out )

·
Mopar 4 life
749 Posts
ok well since u have the relay kit ye that ring gets grounded out on the body, just be careful bc when i put mine in 55w 6000k hids bixion my lights would stay on high beam if my fogs were on. so for now i just have my fogs undone

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes it is a whole new kit andrew and that plug plugs into the blaist..
climb i had read that some where else as well thanks!!

thanks guys

·
Mopar 4 life
749 Posts
yes it is a whole new kit andrew and that plug plugs into the blaist..
climb i had read that some where else as well thanks!!

thanks guys
do u know what the fix is?? i want my fogs back!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do u know what the fix is?? i want my fogs back!
well here is what i have found out..
I wired them in and its had a relay kit and i think i had to much of a draw on my battery ( two amps one to all my speakers and one to my sub and then power to the relay)
It drained my battery when I turned my HIDS on I just turned them on with the switch whitout the truck started and with in a matter of two min. I went to back my truck out of the garage and it wouldnt start.
So I jumped it and it was running like SH*T so I unplugged all the ground and pulled the fuse on the relay and then it wouldnt even try to fire, ( i think the battery was to dead even thought the truck was turning over perfectly fine) so I pulled both fuse to my amps and then charged it and it finally started (now both fuses to the amps removed and both ground wires removed the truck started fine, at lunch I am going to hook up the ground to seee if the HIDS will work and truck will start fine with out the amps plugged in.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
If you have an add on kit that uses a relay for power to your HIDs, then the fogs shouldn't have any effect on your high beams. I'm not using my factory wiring for my fog lights, and I guess haven't tried pulling my headlight switch out(turning factory fogs on) to see if it makes a difference in my HIDs. But I'm also running bi-xenon HIDs and don't even have the wires for the high beams hooked up to the lights in my headlights.

·
Mopar 4 life
749 Posts
see i have the 9007 high and low. now everything works all good and dandy without fogs on. high and lows work no problems, when i turn my fogs on they work like they should on low beam, when i click it to high they shut off like they should, but when i click it back to low they lights stay on high beam and the fogs come back on. my buddy who works at a customizing shop said that i need a capasitor for the relay. and they only cost like $1.25 at radioshack.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
see i had heard that about the capacitor as well..
Climb what kit do you have?
are you 9007 the magnetic ones that move the bulb in and out when switching between high and low?
When I switch i see no differace what so ever between high and low

·
Mopar 4 life
749 Posts
i have digital HIDs from the company retro-solutions (http://www.retro-solutions.com/). amazing kit and my lights change alot between high and low. but for some reason my fogs act as a high beam switch. like right now my fogs are unplugged at the bulb and if i pull my switch out to turn them on the highs kick on. now ive also been told that it is because my wiring harness for my hids only runs off of one plug (drivers in mycase) so the pass plug is just chilling in the fender, i was talk to try and plug a light bulb into the pass side and see if maybe that will fix it. i have yet to contact the hid company about it.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Still strange how the fogs would even be a consideration on the headlights as they are on a separate circuit. Wondering if maybe the headlight relay isn't getting freaked out by the difference in voltage/wattage of the HIDs.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have almost the same problem. Maybe someone could help me. I just installed the 9007 bi-xenon kit in my truck and now theres no difference between high and low beam. Doesnt matter what I have it on it stays the same. Now I havent yet turned my fogs on so I dont know how they act. I can pull the factory 3 pin headlight connector out and the middle wire is grounded and one outside wire has 12 volts while the other outside wire has 3.5 volts. When I turn on my high beam the outside wires change making the 12 volt wire switch to 3.5 volts and the 3.5 volt switches to 12 volts. So I know im getting the right signals to the HID unit BUT when I plug the 3 pin connector to the HID harness and turn the lights on I get a ground at the middle wire and 12 volts on both outside wires and thats on high or low beam. Something is screwey. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Are you guys using a direct plug in kit, or does you factory wiring get plugged in to control a relay that routes the power to the HIDs?? My set up, the factory wires only control a relay. Power and the signal for the high or low switching goes through a relay,.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Mine is SUPPOSED to be plug and play but I got mine fixed and it might be a problem for other people too. I had to take the wires in the 3 pin headlight connector on the HID side and switch them around til I got them doing what they are supposed to do. The wiring was wrong. I had to do the same thing to my daughters car when I bought hers. I have low and high beam now and my fogs(factory) work fine. If anybody needs a picture of the connector from the one-x bixenon 9007 kits for the proper wiring then let me know and I will post one up here.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Here is what the connector should look like with the right wires in the right place. I have no issues after having to swap these around to get it right. I now have high and low beam with the fog lights on on low and off on high beams. I had to do this on my daughters car too. I dont know why but I had to switch hers too on her honda and now having to do it on my truck just seems like the guys who put the connectors wires in its place didnt care how they went in. They are both the one-x brand.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts