Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing a faint whining sound when cruising at 45 mph, and at this speed, if I give it just a little gas pedal or no pedal at all, I hear no noise...It is just when I am crusing & maintaining the gas pedal at this speed that the whine is just barely audible...

The only thing I did around the same time, coincidence or not, is change my
transmission fluid, replace the filter & gasket, thats it!

Anybody want to weigh in on this?

RJS......03 Dakota 3.9 2wd Automatic

·
Registered
522 Posts
yah i have the same thing. mine starts when i apply the gas pedal and has that faint wine from around 60 and up...but yah only when i apply the pedal. as soon as i let off it cuts out. it litterally happens as soon as i apply the pedal but has never really gott'n any worse since i bought it. should get it fixed sometime tho cause its annoying on the hwy.
im assuming might be transfer case but i really don't know for sure. havn't really looked to much yet.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I think this is either associated with the rear end or in the trans itself adn is normal. If I am not mistaken this is the same reason that the jeeps with the same trans that we have are 5 speeds. The acoustics in the GC's amplify the noise and the 5th gear helps to alleviate it. Just guessing though

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, but mine just started doing this, im sure I didnt have it before, just started noticing it though, 120,000 on the Dak, but only 10k on the Trans.

So nothing to be too concerned with then??

RJS.........

B

·
0 Posts
Been there, done that 3 times in my RT and it only has 67K on the clock! :rant:

Sounds like the pinion bearings may be going out.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To answer your question, the pinion bearings are in the rear diff.
So if the bearings are going, does this amount to new bearings only, or gears as well?

·
Registered
522 Posts
good to know...... one question tho.. why is it that the noise only happens when we apply the gas pedal? just curious how it works to make it only happen when the gas is applied

B

·
0 Posts
good to know...... one question tho.. why is it that the noise only happens when we apply the gas pedal? just curious how it works to make it only happen when the gas is applied
That's the only time the bearing is under pressure. When you're off the gas, it in the 'coasting' mood so to speak and has no pressure.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's the only time the bearing is under pressure. When you're off the gas, it in the 'coasting' mood so to speak and has no pressure.
So no whine, no problems? I'll take it....:funny:

·
Registered
522 Posts
thanks that makes sense.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts