Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad recently picked up a 2004 durango with the Hemi. First thing he wanted was an exhaust for it.

He doesn't want to spend alot on one, so he was looking at the Dynomax kits for his car, that are around $400 cdn + tax for the super turbo cat back kit.

Price is an issue as he didn't know a kit was that much money, he wants to spend his money wisely thats all.

How much HP would a cat back give him roughly? I tried search but didnt find much info on dyno results from this kit. He only plans to do exhaust so headers and intake would be left stock (remember, hes just looking for that nice sound)

In his case do you think it would be better to just get a muffler and have a shop weld it on instead of the full kit?

I was looking briefly at the stock design of the muffler and it seems very different than some of the bolt on kits, as it looks like the muffler goes in the middle of the car on the Dynomax kit, and on the OEM the muffler is at the rear.

Any insight guys?

thanks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
if your dad just wants the sound get a flowmaster 40 series muffler from autozone for 80 bucks and he will get a really nice sound, that's what i got on mine, sounds awesome to me

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response.

Any idea what the exhaust pipe size is on the 04 hemi?

Need to know so I can look into the right size exhaust.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
If he wants sound then I would not go with the Dynomax superturbo, becasue they are very quite. I like Flowmaster and Magnaflo. Dynomax does make some loud mufflers, but not in a cat back they make one called the Race bullit and it rocks, and is only like $30 for the muffler.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in the past what kina gain have you guys seen from just a cat back and everything else stock?

not just dynomax but any others as well.

I'm thiking its better to just go with a Flowmaster muffler and have it put on, with a nice tip.

Would it only be beneficial to get a cat back if he was doing hi flow cat, headers and intake as well?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anyone know the pipe size on the 04 durango, so we can choose the appropriate ID opening on the muffler.

·
Registered
483 Posts
reasonable dynomax price

Hey dude, your dad probably did what I did. I got a price from the dealer. It was 430 just for the muffler and piping was extra. I priced the same system on aj-usa.com free shipping at 159.00 with pipes. crazy ain't it?

C

·
0 Posts
That is crazy. The website is under construction and has nothing for sale. Looking at archive.org, the site has been that way since at least June 2003. :cussing:

ajusa.com (if that's the actual site you mean) doesn't seem to carry Dynomax.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cat-Back Exhaust

I have cat-back on my 1993 Dakota V6 and it sounds pretty mean but I have a high flow cat. My brother has a 1994 Dodge Ram 5.9 he doesn't have a high flow cat though, it sounds nice but not too loud. My Dad wants engine back dual exhaust for our 1999 Durango 5.2

Loud Mufflers -Vortex Classic Muffler
Nice Sound -Flowmaster 40 Series
Quiet Nice Rumble -Dynomax
Performance Headers -Hooker Super Competition

That Hemi will sound pretty nice with any muffler but go with at least a 2.5" pipe size

My cat back dual exuast with the Vortex Muffler and chrome tips cost $220, so did my brothers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all that responded.
I ended up picking him up a Dynomax kit with the super turbo muffler from Jegs.

3" cat back, hopefully it sounds nice, going to put it on in the next day or 2.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Quick Question..

What are the benefits for a single side cat back and exhaust over dual exhaust? ..Would I lose torque with a dual exhaust and lose Hp with a single. Sorry to get off the topic, but I heard a nice pair of Gibsons and Im thinking of getting them. Thnks.

BP

·
Registered
83 Posts
loudsubz said:
thanks for the response.

Any idea what the exhaust pipe size is on the 04 hemi?

Need to know so I can look into the right size exhaust.
might be a 2.25 or a 3in pipe I might be wrong!! If I were you go to your local dealer and find out thats the only way to get the right part.

·
I HATE STUPID PEOPLE!!
1,642 Posts
Ranger, a single 3" should suffice with a fairly stock Dak. CAI and a single 3" exhaust is a sweet setup for more airflow.

You could do a dual setup but it's just more headache IMO. Especially since you won't see hp gains like you would if you had internal engine mods or a supercharger/turbo. That's when you would benefit from the extra flow of duals. I mean if you have a single 3" going back to 2 muffs that would be ok, but then you gotta buy 2 muffs. Personally I think duals are too trendy...every truck has the dual flowmaster setup on it!

Remember, you need back pressure to pull the exhaust from the engine. Exhaust gasses pulse, giving a vacuum effect. No back pressure on a stock setup isn't going to be engine friendly.

I love my torque and I don't really need hp...I'm not trying to set any land speed records (tried that in my IROC and 103 mph tickets suck!) but I do love that low end grunt my dak has.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got a gustions for you guys what type of exhaust do you think will sound nice on a V6 I heard the flowmaster sound to muh like a sportcar, does any of you have a Flowmaster 50 how is it on a V6?? I was thinking about the dynomax exhaust any know any thing about it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
FASTDAKOTA said:
I got a gustions for you guys what type of exhaust do you think will sound nice on a V6 I heard the flowmaster sound to muh like a sportcar, does any of you have a Flowmaster 50 how is it on a V6?? I was thinking about the dynomax exhaust any know any thing about it.

First off you have to realize its a V6 and your not going to get that V8 sound. I purchased a Magnaflow Muffler 18incher SI/DO. I like it. Sounds great at Idle and low RPMs. One you get on it it sounds alittle like a sporst car. But its definatly better sounding than stock. Never had a Flowmaster or Dynomax, but Im thinking as long as Its a V6,its going to sound like a V6. Hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts