Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new to this site and my 1999 Durango. 5.2 4wd.
Traded my wifes saturn for this to haul around our newborn a little easier and we love it so far. Has 152,000 miles on it. I changed the oil and did a trans filter along with some atf+4 the day i got it. Now onto a few questions.
There is a little leak (about 8 drops when sitting over night) from the transfer case? common problem?
Also i noticed when coming to a complete stop there is a little knocking sound coming from the rear end and also when accelerating from said stop. Could this be a u joint?

and finally i just found one of my dream cars for sale at an insane price (62 t bird) and was wondering if this truck can handle towing it (4000 pounds) on a 360 mile trip safely.
Thanks for the replies in advance and glad to be a part of your forum :drive:

·
Banned
25,820 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I don't know about that noise either but my 99 5.9 4x4 with 53k has it too. I've checked EVERYTHING back there and can't figure it out. The bushings all look fine, the u-joints are good, and everything is tight.

I've narrowed it down to the tank shifting, the spare moving around a little, or a brake drum being extra grabby(doesn't explain the sound when you are stopping tho) but haven't tried to prove any of them. If it's the tank the skid pan will catch it should it fall... lol

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't know about that noise either but my 99 5.9 4x4 with 53k has it too. I've checked EVERYTHING back there and can't figure it out. The bushings all look fine, the u-joints are good, and everything is tight.

I've narrowed it down to the tank shifting, the spare moving around a little, or a brake drum being extra grabby(doesn't explain the sound when you are stopping tho) but haven't tried to prove any of them. If it's the tank the skid pan will catch it should it fall... lol
Is there a skid pan under the gas tank? My 2000 doesn't have any and I thought that kind of weird for a 4x4. It's just the plastic tank...a rock could tear right through it if I was off roading.

·
Registered
583 Posts
what about the axle making the noise? could it possibly be something related to the axle rotating with the brake drag? and then again with acceleration? i dunno, just a thought...........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts