Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, 08 AWD with 4hi and 4low...... Rattle and bank then the AWD no longer works. Like I'm coasting in neutral engine revs up in AWD now, so I switch it to 4 hi and back in business, however, the rear end fishtails like I'm in two wheel drive. 4 lows works normal. I know my front differential is toasted but is the transfer case burnt as well? It seems like there are two issues going on with this thing. Can anyone make sense of this and let me know what I'm dealing with?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't understand why AWD will not work but 4 hi does. Why do the rear tires work when switched to 4hi but won't in AWD. The front tires are not spinning for either AWD or 4hi.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You first say "Rattle and Bank" (I'm assuming you meant Bang!) Then you say you know your front diff is toast. What do you mean by toast?

Heres what I think based on these two comments. Your front diff let go. When a diff catastrophically fails on an AWD, you don't move, period. The t-case has an open diff and it will try to transmit all engine power to the axle with the least resistance which is the broken axle. When you shift into either 4 high or 4 low, you're locking the diff in the t-case and now the truck will go, because the rear axle still works. You say you're fishtailing…That tells me you're only getting power to the rear axle, and yes you are now "technically" in 2wd. You say 4lo works. It's probably able to shift into low range, but not get power to the front axle.

Now on the outside chance that your truck is actually able to go into 4lo and it's turning all four tires, then disregard everything I said. The front diff would apparently still be working. In that case, the t-case went bad. It can be that the shift linkage isn't engaging or something broke inside. Question, Have you been driving this truck in 4wd (4hi) on pavement? I'm asking because theres a lot of people who aren't familiar with the proper use of 4wds. When it snows or there is ice, they tend to shift into 4wd and drive around with it still in gear. This places an enormous amount of bind on the drivetrain when driven on pavement in 4WD or 4hi and it can cause a major failure due to the build up of bind.

Ed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the whole store. I bought the truck at auction (theft recovery) pick it up from salvage yard check engine light. Code transmission solenoid. Get part install all good. I run the VIN through Dodge it is 4x4 wasn't for sure if typo with salvage ad because there should be a switch somewhere in the truck to switch to hi/lo and 2wd or AWD. Nope, couldn't find. Purchase shop manual. Yup, switch is missing along with center floor console and backseats which I knew about except for the switch. So get one on from parts place hook it up and service 4wd light won't go off. After research and digging figure out dude sold me wrong part. Go to Dodge they order switch pick it up has 2wd 4hi 4lo. Tell dude no I have AWD he says they are the same. Install switch. Time to test the switch. Try 4hi perfect, 4 lo perfect switch back to awd ...... Nope nothing. Stuck in 4hi. Have to drive it cause I have to work. I'm trying to figure why it won't go back to awd. Took me a week and a half to have enough information to walk back in Dodge and say dude you sold me the wrong part I want my money cause I found the correct part at Auto zone. He still charged me 20% restocking fee. Get the third switch... Perfect. Back in AWD. Couple months roll by and hear a winning noise from front end. I was thinking breaks or wheel bearings not sure but before I got close to figuring it out coming home one night I hear this noise over my stereo pulled over popped the hood and smoke was coming out of the front differential where the axle goes in it. The next day AWD totally gave out but switching it to 4hi it moves again. You are right about 4 lo the front I doubt was spinning. Felt like power was coming from back.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ouch dude... It sounds like your diff blew up. Thats unusual if you arent wheeling and spinning big tires and then they catch a root and suddenly stop. But based on your story, thats the most likely culprit. You MIGHT get lucky and have one of your half shafts or your front driveshaft broken, which would get the same result in AWD. Easy way to tell, roll under the truck, tug on the half shafts and see if theres any wiggle, and then do the same on the front driveshaft. Cross your fingers you feel some play, cuz those are all easier and cheaper to replace. Diff isnt the end of the world, but its not easy like the other possibilities. Good luck man!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys, greatly appreciate it. Money is an issue here and I need my truck for work. I am hoping to find a truck like mine at a pick-n-pull.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Alright, that can explain a lot. I'll stick by my first guess. The truck was driven in 4hi on pavement and eventually it developed enough bind to blow something in the front.

Being that the switch was totally missing and the truck was probably abused, I would suggest you go thru it carefully and don't assume anything. First thing is to confirm that this truck is in fact an AWD. Sometimes they aren't when it's believed that they are. Look for the Equipment ID sticker. It's either under the hood or in the door jamb. This will identify what transfer case is supposed to be in your truck. Next, get underneath and find the t-case tag and see if it matches. I would not be surprised if the equipment id sticker says the truck is an AWD, but has another (part-time) t-case under it. If the T-case is an AWD unit, check the shift solenoid, it may not be working. Your dealer guy was correct, the switches are the same, only difference is whats printed on the switch, however if you were in 4hi a bad switch may have caused it, but so can a bad shift solenoid

Next, you'll need to find and fix the damage. With a whining sound and smoke coming out of the diff, it sounds to me that your diff blew. If the housing isn't cracked and theres no signs of excessive heat scoring, it's possible that the diff could be rebuilt. However it won't be cheap. Good news here is you'll have all new parts in it when it's done. If you can't afford to rebuild the diff or it can't be rebuilt, you'll need to find one at your local JY or buy one on ebay. The big important thing is if you have to find a replacement, make sure it has the same gear ratio as the old one. BTW if you're depending on this truck, you cannot drive the truck without the front diff. When you pull the diff out, you'll need to pull both axle half shafts and the stubs are what holds your front bearings together. If the stubs are out, the bearings will come apart and the tires will leave the truck.

Ed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has been a while and have been working my ass off construction and in the same condition. Driving in 4hi everywhere. My daughter's mother has been in the hospital for two and a half months and have been raising a two year old by myself and working so no time to work on the truck but it's a trooper and has been hanging in there. So in the meantime I bought a used front differential, new CV joints, upper lower ball joints, tie rod ends, swaybar ends and wheel hubs. Will be installing everything this week. Hopefully everything goes well. Thanks everyone for the feed back. I'll let you know the outcome.
To answer Ed's question about riding in 4hi before all the problems started..... Here we go this may take a sec but I'll try to make it as short as possible. I bought the truck from auction from an insurance company who aquired the truck as a theft recovery.... So middle console, back seats and the lower dash trim piece that holds the 4 wheel drive selector switch were all stolen out of the truck. So I ordered the selector switch from my local Dodge parts department and when I got the switch I told dude, no I have AWD not 2WD. He said oh it's the same thing. I thought full of shit but he is supposedly the expert. Put the switch in tried it out. 4hi works, 4 low works. Try to put it back in AWD and wouldn't you know nothing happens. So I'm stuck in 4 hi. I took the switch back and the asshole has the audacity to charge me a 20% restocking fee. I found the right switch at AutoZone and got it in two days. However it took me about two weeks to get the money, find and get the new switch in my hand. I put more miles on a vehicle then your average truck driver does in a weeks time. I knew it was bad but at the time didn't have much of a choice. Everytime the front wheels would chirp my skin would crawl. So yes, the truck was driven on pavement for a couple weeks in 4hi on dry pavement. Not because I was a dumbass that didn't know any better, just a broke dumbass that didn't have any other alternatives and kept my fingers crossed. Anyway, I'll post and let you guys know how it turns out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts