Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the trans. rebuilt, then it burned up, due to stopped up cooler. Trans. man when back through it, added a cooler & it seems good now. Except 1 thing...................reverse is slipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It goes into reverse fine & if U give it a little gas is backs up fine. If you give it more gas, the tach. jumps up & the trans. slips?????????????? What now??? Sell it???

·
Registered
47 Posts
Reverse band could be really loose, but you can't check without dropping the pan.

Fluid level could be low (very common for trans shops not to road test vehicle until OD engages at freeway speeds. Once OD applies for the first time after a complete rebuild, your fluid level will drop).
Check fluid level - read both sides of the stick and use the lowest reading! Idling in Neutral, operating temp, level ground.

If fluid level is fine, back to the shop with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fluid level was fine. Trans. guy said this last time he just removed the tail housing & replaced a bearing, that went out due to overheating from the cooler not flowing. Said some metal from the bearing must have done some damage to it. Said he'll make it right, I just hope it is right this time! If he would have just checked the cooler the 1st time........................

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
whenever i replace a tranny i always flush or replace the lines and coolers. what kind of tranny guy is this? did he stay at the holiday inn last night or something?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He came highly recommended from everyone I talked to. Has been in the business for 30 years. I think he'll make it right, as I'm sure by now he doesn't want to see me anymore in his shop. By now all of this has to be eating into his profit. Probably has stayed at a Holiday Inn once or twice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts