Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone my name is chris and i am in the market for a 97-04 dakota. i am going to go look at one tomorrow and was wondering if anyone could tell me what i am looking for in terms of rot or rust or even mechanical. i have been looking around here for a little while and couldnt really find much of what i am looking for. the one i am looking at tomorrow is a 97 dakota 5.2L 4x4. thanks for any info anyone can give me.

·
Hunting Is Life!!
16,662 Posts
Welcome aboard

·
Registered
878 Posts
Check the rear differential for rust, check if it's missing exhaust hangers, check to make sure the heat shields aren't falling off, check for oil leaks.

I bought mine off a guy in Sutton, couple exits up 146 from Rhode Island, it had all of the above.

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
:wave:

try not to buy one for RI. that's what i've been told.

·
Staying auto ;)
771 Posts
mine was totaled and I paid 300 for it so I couldnt complain!!! Make sure you test drive and feel the trans..... They arent known to hold well to abuse, ask me how I know...

·
Registered
878 Posts
or just try not to buy from the northeast in general haha, lots and lots of rust. some people just don't take care of their trucks.

If you got the budget, get a 1 way ticket down south and take a road trip home with a rust free truck.

Edit: I guess I was beat to that?

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
or just try not to buy from the northeast in general haha, lots and lots of rust. some people just don't take care of their trucks.

If you got the budget, get a 1 way ticket down south and take a road trip home with a rust free truck.

Edit: I guess I was beat to that?
or get one that has been POR-15'd. like mine.

·
Registered
878 Posts
or get one that has been POR-15'd. like mine.
or break the thing down to the frame, sand every single part, por15 them, replace every nut and bolt on the thing.. haha, like me. rust isn't worth the hassle that some go through over it... like me, again.

Reactions: ALipper

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
or break the thing down to the frame, sand every single part, por15 them, replace every nut and bolt on the thing.. haha, like me. rust isn't worth the hassle that some go through over it... like me, again.
i got lucky. i bought mine w/ 150K miles, zero rust.

end thread jack...:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts