Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay im looking in to doing a hemi swap or supercharging my 99 durango that is 2wd and has the 318. and was wondering what would it take to do a hemi swap? i understand i will need a new trans, but what else besided that and the motor itself?

i have found motor ,trans ,harness, and computer for $2400.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I haven't done much research on them but i'm looking at the same swap or maybe 6.1. I am deterred by the 6.1's high cost but liking the power. Also thinking of stroker for cost. I would think that the hemi swap is mostly plug and play except for some wiring. Don't forget you'll need the skim module (key) and gas pedal. Also I would think you'll need to figure out a way for the pcm to read your speed. But it's only wires. Just buy the mopar service manuals for the donor car and the Durango. I've done a few chevy swaps (tbi - 5.3, vortec - 6.0, carb - ls2) and those are pretty convoluted. I've always heard dodge swaps were easier by an engine tuner friend. I guess we'll see. Good luck

·
HemiDak-Quad
72 Posts
Don't depend on the service manuals ,they don't tell $hit about wires.To do the swap, You have to notch the cross-member or cut and rebuild the oil pan.Then rebuild and move the motor mounts by putting the Hemi and 318 together and cutting the Perches off the frame and rewelding them where they go...
Get a pin-out of you're wiring harness, Then one for the year Hemi you buy and splice the wires where they go.Use your PDC to operate the lights and dash.Make sure you get the computers and harness from the Donor Hemi truck along with the APPS "Fly by wire"..box under the Battery tray.
If you know how to weld and have some torches it makes the swap a whole lot easier...It can be a pain , but it's worth it..

·
110 HP, 11.1 MPG. FML
4,370 Posts
i think hemi dak sells oilpans. but you wont get a hold of him on here. he lives elsewhere now

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im still looking in to it but i don't have the money for it at the moment, but i hope to soon. do i need a new tranny since it is a 99 with the 318, 5.2l instead of the 4.7l

·
Registered
5 Posts
okay im looking in to doing a hemi swap or supercharging my 99 durango that is 2wd and has the 318. and was wondering what would it take to do a hemi swap? i understand i will need a new trans, but what else besided that and the motor itself?

i have found motor ,trans ,harness, and computer for $2400.
my advice-stop while your ahead,durangos arent built for heavy duty performance.the front end will need totally rebuilt and beefed up,heavy duty axels will need to be put in even with a dana.frame modifiications are a nightmare,inless your going all out for an off road vehichle a durango isnt the way to go.they are nice family passenger cars but thats it.ive been a line mechanic for chrystler for many years and ive yet to see a hemi durango that didnt end up in a scrap pile

1 - 9 of 9 Posts