Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a functioning Hemi swap with a manual trans or anything other than a 545RFE? I have my swap done but I currently have a 2004 pcm that thinks it's an automatic. It is setting a code for no communication to the trans solenoid (since there's not one) that is puting the trans part of the pcm in limp mode. I also can't go over 55mph. Will the trans limp in mode restrict speed, or do I need to look for another issue? I plan on getting a pcm from a 3/4 ton with a manual but the swap budget is currently dry so it's got to wait for a while.

·
Mopar man from Day 1
553 Posts
I believe you can have your PCM flashed for a manual trans at the dealer or a DS CMR tuner should be able to do it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are you using two seperate speed sensors to the ABS unit? It needs one from left front and one from the rear end. If not it will limit your speed to 55 mph.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spliced the speed signal into both pcm feeds. I wasn't sure if it would work but it hasn't set a code for it. Will it possibly limit speed for the missing sensor before it sets a code? The only codes I have right now are an NVLD code, two cruise switch codes, a brake switch code, VIN mismatch to the ABS module, and one for the trans being unplugged. Will any of these cause it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That answers a lot, it's amazing how much info isn't in the FSM when doing a swap. How did you get yours to work?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I put a ABS brake bearing in the left front . Then I wired the ABS controller the same as it is wired in Ram truck. I think I had to move a couple wires and add one or two.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just ordered a new wheel bearing. I took the truck for a long drive today, I unplugged the ABS to kill the speedo so it wouldn't know how fast it was going. The torque is amazing. The roads were starting to get slick so I wasn't able to get on it too much but I'm very happy with my swap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have about 6000 miles on my swap . Not sorry at all about it. Glad to hear you got to take it out and play with it.

·
DrPepper
1,150 Posts
I wondered how the swap went and couldn't find a thread.....

Hey, S10
Do you have a link to the swap and did the mounts work out OK?
DrPepper

·
Stroked 91
556 Posts
I second the last VERY old post from my friend Dr.Peper, is there a link to the build thread. I'll be going threw this same process with a manual dakota very soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
so i am in the middle of doing my swap on a 2004 2 wheel drive. I really want to go with the manual transmission which one do you recommend?

·
Registered
63 Posts
As for a man trans. With time and $ anything is possible. As for recommendations for a trans, go with a t56 or a nv4500. 4500 is heavy as hell. And probably not very many hemi bellhousings out there. T56 would be better for a street truck. But it will cost ya to get it done and there are several versions of it. As for 4x4. 4500 was used in Cummins for many years so 4x4 capable is easy to take care of. T56 you gave to get a c5 corvette tail housing and an adapter from Rockland Standard Gear. If they will sell it individually. Talk to George in performance. And I have to say it. Damn this thread was dug up from the grave! Pm me for questions. I did a ton of research in this. Doing my hemi swap now in an 01 4x4. Manual is going in later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts