Dakota Durango Forum banner
381 - 400 of 417 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey man I was just wondering, you said you got a 2004-05 Hemi but then converted to a later model coil packs and valve covers, is that an easy swap?
That's as simple as getting the valve covers and coil packs. No other mods needed. They just bolt on.

But, getting the newer intake manifold gets rid of the unsightly ridges that the plug wires sat in before.

·
Born Again Hemi Fan
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 ·
I'm not on this forum as often as I used to be. Sorry for that.

The question I get PMd the most is can I still make mounts and oil pans. The answer is yes, but you must provide me with the 4.7 hard engine mounts (dodge stopped making these some time ago), oil pan, and pick up tube along with the Hemi oil pan and pick-up tube.

The price for the mounts is 150$ per set and the costs to modify the pans is 300$.

I don't do the harnesses.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You know it's really a shame that no one makes the mounts and pans for the 2wd Dakota swap because Hotwire auto sells the harness to run the Hemi in the Dakota, even programs the Dakota Vin# into the Hemi ECU so it will be emission compliant. The mounts and pan dilemma is kind of a turnoff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hmmm Sacramento to Mesa Az.. maybe ill just pay you to convert mine! :D

I'm not on this forum as often as I used to be. Sorry for that.

The question I get PMd the most is can I still make mounts and oil pans. The answer is yes, but you must provide me with the 4.7 hard engine mounts (dodge stopped making these some time ago), oil pan, and pick up tube along with the Hemi oil pan and pick-up tube.

The price for the mounts is 150$ per set and the costs to modify the pans is 300$.

I don't do the harnesses.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You know it's really a shame that no one makes the mounts and pans for the 2wd Dakota swap because Hotwire auto sells the harness to run the Hemi in the Dakota, even programs the Dakota Vin# into the Hemi ECU so it will be emission compliant. The mounts and pan dilemma is kind of a turnoff.
Do you have a link for the harness? I can't seem to find it on the website.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well just got done with my conversion. I have to offer thanks to all here who shared their experience. You can't buy that kind of help. I did my conversion with all stock parts and programming with the intent of keeping it smog legal in California. I succeeded! I'll post up pictures and a play by play here over the next few days. Thanks for all your help. But mostly to HemiDak whose thread was the one I found first. You made the difference in deciding to go forward with this project.

I'm finally getting around to reloading the SMALLER pictures. Sorry for my anti-techie-ness. Thanks for viewing!
from Garrett Robert Gustkey, Colorado Springs I have 1999 dodge Durango. I would like to convert from the 360 magnum 4x4 to a modern Hemi 4x4 can you Would you be willing to share your experience with me. I love the 1978-2003 Bodies. They are all steel. I trying to convert every thing need to be emissions Compliant. I think this would entail all the electrical ECU and harnesses, and Of course I want to be able to say. I did all the work. Nothing better for others to put me it HE knows ASK him category. I would even consider using this 99 as a "Lets see what happens" Platform. I would like to know it would take besides being obvious too much to list reading.
[email protected] Garrett Robert Colorado Springs
ps my mo lived and died in Mesa up to last June. My brother Bill and my Lisa and her entire dauthers and grandchildren live there in or Near AJ

·
Premium Member
61 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to do this swap with a 2008 hemi engine with all wiring and computer in its entirety. got a really good deal on an 08 engine with tranny and looking to do this swap, but I'm not sure if the same techniques would be the same. Have been researching since my dakota purchase.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Anyone know how things changed for the 2011 Dakotas? From chatting with the tuners they used a different encryption and programming that was also used on 2011+ Ram. Wondering if Hemi+wiring out of a 2011+ Ram would work better for mine. I'd kill for a Hemi + 8HP swap in my Dakota.

·
I hate you people.
2,838 Posts
If they use the same bus communications, then yeah, it is possible to use the 2011+ Hemi's but IDK about the 8HP. I think they went to a different bus comms on the 2013 model year Hemi's with the 8HP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
4.7 to 5.7 swap

hope all is still good with Hemi-Kota
ive got a 02 durango 2wd just trashed the 4.7 motor now wanting to swap in a 5.7 hemi other than pulling out old trashed motor what would be the best year hemi to look for got a few yards around i can shop at here in NC
im a DIY and a stay at home dad got a lot of time work on cars on the side here at home

·
Registered
53 Posts
hope all is still good with Hemi-Kota
ive got a 02 durango 2wd just trashed the 4.7 motor now wanting to swap in a 5.7 hemi other than pulling out old trashed motor what would be the best year hemi to look for got a few yards around i can shop at here in NC
im a DIY and a stay at home dad got a lot of time work on cars on the side here at home
look for an 05

381 - 400 of 417 Posts