Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to buy some silverstars for my truck and I cant figure out how to get the headlight out. I see 3 screws and I can only get to one of them. any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Natedogg625 said:
Im going to buy some silverstars for my truck and I cant figure out how to get the headlight out. I see 3 screws and I can only get to one of them. any help is appreciated.

you don't have to take the headlight out man .. you can get to the bulb from behind... kinda tight but a lot eaiser than taking the whole headlight out. from behind you will see were the headlight goes and you just have to turn the outside plastic peice counterclockwise if im not mistaken then you can pull the old headlight out.. then change it and put it back and turn the locking peice clockwise to lock the headliight in place... hope that helps man :biggthump

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I could get one side this way but the other has something in the way, not sure what it is.....

edit- nevermind I couldnt get either side, and I think the other way would save my hand from the sharp and pointy stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
well then I'm not sure man ive only done it from behind .. im sure someone else will chime in for ya .. :sorry: I couln't help ya out

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Natedogg625 said:
the thing that irritates me the most is one of the screws is stripped like no other. :cussing:
man that sucks .. hope you get it fixed

·
Registered
315 Posts
Its not too hard to take your headlights out. Your best bet is to get your hands on an owners manual. It tells how to replace them, or maybe a Haynes manual. I think one of the screws that you might think is stripped is an adjustment screw. The headlights are removed with a socket ( I think 11mm) while they are adjusted with a Torx #15. At least for my 2004. You will be Really happy with the silverstars. Much brighter than stock. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Between your headlight and corner lens there is a single T-10 torx screw. Remove it, then you can slide out the corner lens - twist the sockets to separate the bulbs from the lens. Once you have the corner out you will see three bolts on the headlight frame, they are either 10mm or 13mm - remove them and you can access the back of the headlight lens. Twist the blue lock ring off the back of the socket to remove it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Natedogg625 said:
Pop the hood.

Now from inside the engine bay, look behind the headlights.

You'll see a wire harness that plugs into the back of the headlight case. The wire harness is attached to the bulb....and they are held on to the headlight case by a lock ring. Turn it counterclock wise...(remember lefty loosey, righty tighty) You'll know once it's loosened.

The lock ring will slide out onto the harness, and the harness and bulb will slide out. Becareful to check that the bulb isn't hot...(not that you need to touch it).

The headlight slides into the harness and snaps into place. You'll be able to see how it's snapped. Unsnap it, slide it out of the harness.

DO NOT TOUCH THE NEW BULB what so ever. Only grab it by the plasic end.

Slide the new bulb into the harness until it snaps.

Insert the bulb/harness into the headlight case.

And basically reverse the instructions above....putting the lock ring back in place, righty tighty, make sure it's secure. Make sure the bulb is straight.

Repeat the steps for the other side.

If you're not in a garage, drive up to a wall...about 5 feet away from it...turn on your headlights and see how straight the beams are. From there you can see how straight or crooked your lights are and do adjustments.

OR.....

You could just take it to say walmart and they'll do it for a small fee....hell, send the wife/girl friend with your truck to autozone and they'll do it for her for free!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.