Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent half an hour screwing with this thing, it isn't going anywhere!

1. Which way does it unscrew? I would assume opposite fan direction. That would mean standing in front of the truck, it would loosen going left to right, correct?

2. How do I stop the belt from slipping, or somehow lock the waterpump pulley in place?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
the easiest way is to get someone to hold the fan for ya.
and yes, facing the fan from the front of the truck left to right

·
Registered
49 Posts
hey i actually just did this today, first ya gotta disconnect the fan from the clutch by just loosening up the four bolts then take a sturdy phillips screw driver and stick it in one of the holes that is on the water pump pulley, make sure it goes all the way thru and hits somethin to stop the pulley from movin then get a big ass adjustable wrench or in my case Robogrips and turn the nut on the clutch to the left it may be a little hard but once its loosened it just unscrews easily thats it
oh and by the way what are you using, did you buy a viper fan kit or something else or are u using the electric fan thats already on it like i did (only on 2000 models and up)?

Good luck

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I had almost done that, but I was using allen wrenches that kept bending. I'll try something stronger.

I am using the stock electric fan, mine is a 2001. The AC fan pulls a ton more air than the mechanical one, from what I can tell. I will be installing a switch, but I always run the fan, so the AC is running most of the time for now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone have any directions on wiring the electric fan to a switch. I have been told by a few people this could mess up your PCM. Any directions would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
just go to autovone and get a t-stat relay and wire it according to directions

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
FAN LOOSENS RIGHT TO LEFT Just like a regular nut or bolt, its not opposite. I just did it on mine and turned the wrench towards the passenger side.

·
Who needs a Hemi
411 Posts
This is confusing. One guy is saying turn the nut from left to right when your facing the fan from the front and the other guy is saying to turn it left. So do you move the wrench left or right when facing the fan? I agree with boominkota318 YOU TURN IT TO THE LEFT TOWARD THE PASSENGER SIDE>

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, good info. I assumed it would thread on differently, so I am glad I didn't spend this evening tightening that nut!

On wiring the fan switch, it shouldn't effect your PCM at all, it is a completely separate circuit.

·
Gas Guzlin and Tire smoke
3,301 Posts
All you need is a 2 foot Pry bar and a hammer. (THREAD IS RIGHT TO LEFT LIKE A NORMAL NUT!!) take the prybar and place the end of it on the nut close to the edge. hit the other end of the prybar hard (make it a dusey) a couple times (You might have to line the prybar a coupla times cuz the nut will turn. after each blow check the nut by hand to see if it will spin off. If your doing this right it will spin off no problom AND SHOULDENT TAKE MORE THAT 15 MINUTES! if it does that your doing something wrong. Hope this helps :biggthump

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
suffolk_mopar said:
the easiest way is to get someone to hold the fan for ya.
and yes, facing the fan from the front of the truck left to right

oops, after re-reading my reply i realize i screwed up on the wording,lol. sorry fellas. it`s from right to left.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you have an air chisel with a blunt attachment,allyou have to do is put it on the nut pointed in the direction you want to go and blip it a couple of times.You don't want to do it too muchor you will mess it up.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Right to left on a 2001 4.7. A big ass hammer to shock the wrench and nut will loosen it and then just the wrench will work fine.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Yes I did. It has a LITTLE better accelleration through the very lowest RPM's. About 1/2 of what you would find by turning off the a/c. No notice climb in temp. yet but our usuall 100* weather hasn't got here. (about 98* so far).

·
a drunken dakotaholic
955 Posts
99 4x4 clutch fan removal HELP!

I have a 99 4x4 5.2l and had some trouble getting the old fan off. I have read all around on how to get it off but ran into some trouble

When trying to turn the bolt everything else still moves, i have some one hold the belt in place and the pulley still moves. I tried to stop the pulley from moving by putting something in there to stop it, but the 4 holes are to close to the nut so i can not wedge anything in there.

Any other ideas on what could help?

D

·
0 Posts
i just took mine of and i dident notice anymore power so i might put it back on lol

1 - 20 of 39 Posts