Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
CHRGEIT
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing to know what everyone else out there has done for rebuilding a tranny to handle more HP. Looking for it to take around 600 to 800hp.

What happen is that the rev has gone out in my mine. So I’m looking to just rebuild the thing while I have it out. I have an APS precision shift kit with an APS 2600 stall converter.

I have got a price from APS for a built tranny for around 4k. This is a brand new tranny and then he will build it for 800hp. I have no idea why he is taking a new tranny and taken it apart then rebuilding it when the one I have is just fine to build with new parts.

I have a guy here local that will build it for 300 dollars if I bring him the tranny and the parts. He has well over 20 years building trannys and all my Chevy friends go to him. He also put in my shift kit, so I fell he can do the job.

Thanks for any help:wave:

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Well that explains some shifting problems I have had.:rant:

Also any links to some shops that you all have used or know of that do good work would be helpful.

Any know of these guys www.ipttrans.com?
I used Martin Saine for my 46RE...He's in CA.

·
I hate you people.
2,837 Posts
You need contact Martin Saine, a lot posters on here swear by him.
Though, for your power levels, I think you would be better off using the 47/48RE setup like with the Cummmins diesels use, they have all the necessary upgrades available to handle that much power and torque.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
You need contact Martin Saine, a lot posters on here swear by him.
Though, for your power levels, I think you would be better off using the 47/48RE setup like with the Cummmins diesels use, they have all the necessary upgrades available to handle that much power and torque.
Martin can build a tranny that can handel 800 hp, not prob.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you have someone local that will do it for $300 and you trust him, go for it. You will need to beef up some stuff to get it holding more though. Here are side by side pics of stock input and output shafts beside billet parts. Once the tranny will hold the power, these are the parts that break. The trans that I put these in will handle over 1500 ft lbs of torque. A 46RE needs upgrades in the planetaries as well. The 48RE is the holy grail of planetaries, but expect to pay close to a grand to get the full setup.

http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/SmokinCummins/400561.jpg
http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/SmokinCummins/400559.jpg

·
Registered
429 Posts
not sure why the pictures did not show up??

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thanks.
Top picture is a billet 4x4 output shaft on left and stocker on right.

Bottom picture is the stock input on left and billet on right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts