Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right section..

My 99 Dakota 5.9 wont start. Starter turns over strong, got a good spark, and I can hear the fuel pump prime.. I am doing Disturber cap, rotor and ignition coil on Thursday even though im getting spark..

The truck is backfiring threw the throttle body. No CELs.

in the past 2 weeks I have installed an M1(ran fine), open element air intake(ran fine) oil change(ran fine), ran wires threw middle of throttle body(had to replace Oil Pressure sensor and Fuel injector connector but ran fine), moved Evap system and Ignition coil inside the cowl area(ran fine)

Then it rained and NO START!

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Wow, you did a lot to your ride recently. Before throwing more parts at the truck, start with the basics. You should be able to at least narrow down the problem without spending any cash. Check all the fuses and replace any that are blown. How did you check spark? Did you check all the plugs or only one? You should check them all. Rent a fuel pressure gauge from your local autoparts store (you get your money back when you return it) and make sure your getting good fuel pressure. If not, start looking at the fuel system. If that checks out, rent a noid light kit from your local auto parts store and see if the fuel injectors are being commanded on. If not, start looking at the fuel injector circuit (including the Auto-Shutdown Relay). After that I would rent a compression gauge from my local autoparts store to make sure each cylinder has good compression, but I doubt that is your problem since it only stopped working after it rained. Most likely its an electrical problem.

While doing your tests, make sure to keep an eye on the battery voltage. You can quickly drain a battery trying to crank the motor over a while. It should be between 12.4 & 12.8. If not, recharge it before continuing.

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, relocating the coil I thought I had it somewhere it would be out of the weather.. I was wrong lol. That's why iim going ahead with tthe cap rotor and coil.. they could use it lol.. but if it still doesn't start ill check the plugs(they are new with only about 50 miles on them) one could have fouled.. checked the spark by using the coil wire and seeing if it arch with a ground near it.. it did..

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump, got the truck to start last night after the warmest day sense the rain... ran like shit. Once it got up to tempp it got better and better.(water everating?). guess water got to the coil or...?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Reading your article reminded me of when I changed my cap, wires and plugs. I was just about done and had pulled up on the plug wire and ended up pulling the whole fricking distributor out of the motor. evidently the bolt to the hold down was broken. How long it was broken I have no idea as it was the first time I ever replaced everything and I am the original owner and have never had any work done in that area of the engine compartment.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Bump, got the truck to start last night after the warmest day sense the rain... ran like shit. Once it got up to tempp it got better and better.(water everating?). guess water got to the coil or...?
Yeah, sounds like moisture in some electrical component (loose or exposed wire?). It running now doesn't mean its fixed, it means it will probably come back the next time it rains. Keep an eye on it. Good luck...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts