Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a 2002 Dodge Dakota SLT Club Cab 4x4 (VIN 1B7GG42N32S626904) possessing what I believed to be a 4.7L V8 SOHC engine under the hood — the build sheet confirms that this truck shipped from the factory with the 4.7L V8, the air hat under the hood states "4.7L V8", and there are a total of (8) spark plugs. However, since taking possession of the truck I've discovered that it has apparently been heavily modified from stock. A few examples:
  1. VECI label under the hood references a 2003 3.9L V6 instead of a 2002 4.7L V8
  2. Driver & Passenger Windows are etched with a VIN that differs from that of the truck
  3. Front Grille is now body color instead of the OEM chrome
  4. Front Bumper is black steel instead of the OEM chrome
  5. Front Bumper Cover doesn't include the OEM fog lamps
  6. Rear Bumper is now black instead of the OEM chrome
  7. Tailgate badge lists "SXT" trim instead of SLT per the OEM Build Sheet
Vehicle History reports indicate the vehicle has never had a reported accident or been totaled, but it appears the windows, tailgate, bumpers, and hood may have all been replaced with boneyard parts for some reason. In addition, there's evidence that the engine has been pulled and possibly replaced at some point — many engine-to-body components are missing fasteners or are installed in non-OEM ways, and the engine block itself has been painted. With this in mind, I'm taking nothing for granted on the truck since so much appears to be modified from stock.

I'm currently in the process of attempting to perform a tune-up which requires ordering engine-specific parts, and I need to know specifically what size V8 I have to ensure the correct parts. I would also like to know if the 104,000 miles currently on the odometer are representative of the actual mileage on the engine.

I've searched high and low for an identifying part or serial number on the block in an effort to locate a casting number cross-reference to date of manufacture or displacement, and have managed to locate several numbers. My problem is I've spent the better part of a week both searching high and low online and working with Dodge customer service, and I've been unsuccessful at decoding them. Here are the numbers I've located thus far, along with the location found:
  1. 53020661AGK (Driver side of block, just above the starter)
  2. 301 9 (Plate located on passenger side front of block, just below the valve cover)
  3. 53020801 13L AA (Front of driver side cylinder head)
  4. 93020802 4R AE (Front of passenger side cylinder head)
I provided these numbers to Dodge customer service, and they said none of them matched up with my truck's VIN. This is a bit unsettling. Another indicator that leads me to believe the engine may not be original are the fuel injectors — (6) of the (8) injectors are of the white-tipped variety, P/N 53030842. These are two-hole injectors with a flow rating of 22.5 lb./hour at 49 PSI, and were only used on 2000 model year Dakota's, Durango's, and Jeep Grand Cherokees, per Mopar Parts Giant. The remaining two fuel injectors are red-tipped and list a P/N of 53032145AA. These have a flow rating of 25.8 lb./hour at 49 PSI and were used on all '01–'04 Dakotas, Durango's, and Jeeps.

A few other clues may be evident based on the part numbers of other bolt-on engine components:
  • AC Compressor — Manufacture Date of Jan. 17, 2002
  • Alternator — Denso P/N 56041693AB; S/N TN121000–4410
  • Intake Manifold — P/N 53032402AD; Engraved with SAE PA66-GF35
  • Powertrain Control Module (PCM) — P/N P56028650AA; S/N TEH02823ZD0E
  • Radiator — P/N 52028818AD, Manufacture Date Jan., 2002.
  • Transmission Control Module (TCM) — P/N P56028694AC; S/N TRFTH0322F9XOP
Based on what I have gathered thus far, the part numbers of this ancillary equipment indicate they belong to a 2002 Dodge Dakota with a 4.7L V8 engine, which is somewhat encouraging. The DOM of the AC Compressor and Radiator also indicate they are original. So, to sum up my questions for the peanut gallery:
  1. Can anyone help me decode the existing part numbers I've found on the block and cylinder heads?
  2. Are there any other locations I should be able to find a block casting or serial number?
  3. What visual "tells" are there that would enable me to ascertain engine displacement?
  4. Do any of the part numbers from the bolt-on ancillary equipment confirm or deny a given engine size and date of manufacture?
  5. How can I tell whether my engine may have been replaced with one of the High Output (HO) models?
Any help on this point would be greatly appreciated, as I am at a standstill with repairs and deciding on the future of the truck until I can nail down engine size, type, and age.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sounds like the hood was replaced with one from a V6 truck. The engine is probably original but the former owner/s chose to replace body parts for whatever reason, be it rust, dents & scratches, etc. You likely have a regular run-of-the-mill early 4.7L and they all use the same parts, so I'd be comfy ordering parts based on the VIN.

Don't overthink this. Go to Advance Auto website and plug in your VIN, order the parts you need and if for some strange reason they don't fit, return them to the store, this way you're not paying return shipping.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts