Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so got the 2 inch lift on the front, and replaced the control arms and had the alignment done. Over time the steering wheel has moved to the right. About 1/10th of a turn. The truck drives straight, and the steering wheel was center after the alignment. Some things to note now, I have a pop. but I have figured out the steering joints need replacing. I coasted the truck while is was off down the driveway this morning and notcied the wheel sligtly off center more after that. Help me figure this out. Camber and caster is perfect, and drove down the highway with no pulling of any sort. So why does my steering wheel go off center???????

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,225 Posts
The steering wheel/rack is not centered with the direction the front tires are pointing. The truck needs to go back on the rack and the wheel centered, then the toe set on both tires to the left to get it all pointed in the right direction.

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea thats what I figured. But it puzzled me because the truck doesnt pull.

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,225 Posts
Yea thats what I figured. But it puzzled me because the truck doesnt pull.
The tires are pointed in the correct direction...just not in relation to the racks center.

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, ill get it done in two weeks. I love having the life time alignment. Ill get it done each month haha

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I had the same problem with my 01 Dakota since it was new. Anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months (longest lasting) it would start to pull to the right and wear tires. I thought the lifeftime alignment was the ticket for awhile too, then got tired of arguing with them. After first complaint they wanted to replace ALL steering/suspension components.....never went back! On at least one of the alignments I had heard a loud pop from front suspension as well. After 8 alignments (1 dealer, 4 shops) I finally diagnosed it myself....
The torque on the upper control arm pivot shaft is supposed to be 155 ft/lbs! When I had the alignment done after lowering, brought it straight home and checked, 40-65ft/lbs! The loud pop had been that pivot shaft shifting causing alignment to be off "again". Six months no pull, no wear....

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I had that same problem, only it was the left side pivot arm. I replaced all suspension components and put in a 2 inch lift in the front. The pop I have is a low subtle pop. Coming from the steering shaft or the sway bar. Over the summer I plan on getting a sway bar kit for front and rear and having it aligned again. If the alignment still does this, then I will rebuild the perch the pivot arm sits on and the upper control arms. I just wondered why the steering wheel was off center and not pulling anywhere. I eye balled the camder as the pivot bolt you were talking about caused the camber to go off and caused the truck to pull and the camber looks fine. Ill have it on the rack in 2 weeks again after paint. Thinking about getting an aftermarket steering wheel and not being so COD about my steering wheel being center

1 - 8 of 8 Posts