Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Dakota Quad Cab Sport 4.7L AWD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 Dakota sport with the 4.7L. I’ve had an issue since I bought the truck that the high beams only stay on when I hold the turn signal lever back, but the second I let go they turn back to low beams. The lights themselves work fine both low and high beams, but I just can’t get the high beams to stay on. I’ve replaced the turn signal switch assembly with one from a salvaged truck and with a brand new assembly which has not resolved the issue. As far as I can see they’re no blown fuses but I could be wrong on that one. Besides that I have no idea where to look as to what could be wrong. Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
431 Posts
I haven't looked at the schematic -- but there must be a latching relay in the system. See if you can find a relay in one of the fuse boxes that is labeled high beam or something similar.

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,572 Posts
I don't have the 2002 FSM; but for 2001, the headlights are fed off the Central Timing Module (CTM), the 2003 off the Integrated Power Module (IPM), both controlled by the Multi Function Switch (MFS).

If you've swapped the MFS, what's left is the CTM/IPM. I'd try to find one in the boneyard from an identically equipped Durango, and swap first.

Do be aware that there's multiple versions of both; check the interchange at the boneyard before you even bother removing it.

No, I don't know where they are on a 2002 ... again, I don't have the 2002 FSM to refer to.

RwP

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have an 02 Dakota sport with the 4.7L. I’ve had an issue since I bought the truck that the high beams only stay on when I hold the turn signal lever back, but the second I let go they turn back to low beams. The lights themselves work fine both low and high beams, but I just can’t get the high beams to stay on. I’ve replaced the turn signal switch assembly with one from a salvaged truck and with a brand new assembly which has not resolved the issue. As far as I can see they’re no blown fuses but I could be wrong on that one. Besides that I have no idea where to look as to what could be wrong. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Please confirm you have stock headlights. Had similar issues with aftermarket HIDs in a Durango not keeping the highs on. The relay harness they provided had the wrong wiring (generic for this bulb type, but with Dodge something is reversed with their high beam wire in the plug).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, To get high beams to stay on, try pushing the lever forward and see if that works. Usually just pulling back is to flash the high beams. Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, To get high beams to stay on, try pushing the lever forward and see if that works. Usually just pulling back is to flash the high beams. Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Interested to see if this is the case. I am familiar with some vehicles being set up this way.

I have a 1G and 2G Durango (I know, not the same) but neither have any function for pushing the turn signal towards the gauges. Pulling flashes highs if you stop before the detent, keeps highs if you pull it past the detent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
431 Posts
That's how my '03 works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts