Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
360ci FTW
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

My truck: 2000 Dakota QC SLT 4x4 5.9L Automatic

I have a puzzling situation here. My high beams will not turn off... I have to disconnect the battery to turn them off.

I have checked all the fuses, all are good. It sounds like everything is working fine however when the truck is off the high beams will not turn off. (the fogs will not come on either)

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Wouldn't a fuse or ground issue cause the opposite problem and stick you with lights that won't light up?

Is the headlight switch broken? Does it feel loose or was it banged recently? An easier temporary workaround might be to remove the main bezel of the dashboard and then unplug and re-plug the cable that connects to the headlight switch module. Disconnecting the battery has got to be a pain.

·
360ci FTW
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think of that, however removing the bezel in the winter is not the greatest idea as it is cold and I don't want to break it.

Does anyone think this might be caused by the Multi-function switch?

·
360ci FTW
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i pulled all of the fuses from the engine bay fuse box. strangely enough there was still current going through to have the lights dim but still on.

i have a feeling its the mfs

·
360ci FTW
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unplug the box i mentioned!
I will give that a try tomorrow, however I do not see what that would do when I have already disconnected the battery. That alone would reset the PCM and any other memory components in the electrical system.

Does that trigger a full reset? disconnecting the engine harness from the fuse box?

·
Rebel13
11,470 Posts
Fog and regular lights are wired not to run when the high beams are on. Have you tried cycling the high beam switch on and off? Sounds like the contacts for it have welded together.

·
360ci FTW
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fog and regular lights are wired not to run when the high beams are on. Have you tried cycling the high beam switch on and off? Sounds like the contacts for it have welded together.

Yes I have. That was the first thing I did. It sounds like that the high beam switch has failed somehow

·
17,623 Posts
Have you tried replacing the headlight relay?

@MikeRWK, the '97 and newer Dakota does not have that box you mention. Just because it was in your grandfathers Ram doesn't mean it's going to be in the Dakota. They are two different vehicles.

·
360ci FTW
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so I dont know where to go now....

I have replaced the MFS and it did not correct the problem.

I pulled the headlight switch, it didn't turn off the high beams.

I pulled the gauge cluster, it didn't turn off the high beams.

I have pulled all of the fuses relating to lights and the DRL's, it didn't turn off the high beams.

What could it be? does anyone have the FSM online that they could share?

·
360ci FTW
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will give that a try, however I do not know exactly which box your talking about? could you post a picture for me?

·
360ci FTW
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
where is that box exactly located? is it the power distrabution box with all of the fuses and relays in it?

·
360ci FTW
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks!!!!!!

I'll check that after dinner... be back in a bit

1 - 20 of 27 Posts