1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! head rebuild. I need a shop in Eastern NC
OK,
2002 Durango 4x4 with 4.7 liter engine

I have a compression leak to the cooling system that causes overheating.
The oil and coolant do not mix. Coolant blows out the overflow until it gets low and then it overheats. The cooling system was burped correctly.

I will be pulling the heads myself a few weeks from now. (Probably Dec 5)

I am comfortable taking it apart and putting it back together.

BUT
I need a shop to inspect, check and rebuild the heads.

I am in Beaufort, NC which is not exactly close to anywhere.
A shop in Raleigh area would be fine too (3 hrs away).

If you know any competent shop in the area, a recommendation is appreciated.

Also, this durango is bone stock. Is there anything I should upgrade while doing this?

I know I need headgaskets, head bolts and a top end gasket set. What else do I need that I am forgetting. I have never been inside one of these 4.7s.

Anything to look out for?

Any special tools I might need?

Thanks,
Kevin

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
I won't be much help here, but I'd recommend installing new hydrualic lash adjusters when you reassemble. It's good practice and they commonly lose pressure and cause annoying ticks.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks..... The reading I have done seems to suggest that getting more power out of these is expensive. Is there any Camshaft upgrade or anything I can do that is worth it? Maybe a port and polish on the heads when they are off.
I am only comparing this to the 99 Dodge Cummins I am driving at the moment. It it pretty to get more horsepower without breaking the bank.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Lots of cam upgrades. I'd recommend the 206 cams personally, especially if you don't plan to get wild with anything.

Port/polish wouldn't be a bad idea either, but weigh the cost options into it...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ok, a web search turns up KRC Performance.
Is there anything else I need with these? I mean, I am not sure I am ready to spend $700 for camshafts until I see what is wrong with mine.
Thanks,
Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts