Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everybody from Mike in the Hoosier state. I have owed dakotas over the years and recently got one given to me for free. Belonged to a friend of mine that teaches school and runs a model train shop. The Dak was his vehicle to haul the trains to shows in nearby states. But she started to get unreliable for him, stalling without warning and not able to restart, she would crank but not fire. He isnt able to do his own work so after his mechanic made one last attempt to solve the stalling issues, he parked it. That being said, the Dak has never stalled on me, his mechanic installed a brand new distributor shaft and I did a full ignition tune up other than the main coil. I also changed the timing chain as it was making all kinds of racket, had 220K miles on it. When I got the chain out, it had 1 to 1.5 inches of play in the chain, supprised she hadnt jumped time. The new chain got the idle back to being smooth again and I regained all the lost power from the 3.9L V6. The truck is a 1988 long bed 4wd 5spd. I replaced the smashed Bosch fog lamps with brand new ones, removed the topper and reinstalled the black bed sport rails and last week I picked up the factory sport roll bar with the Bosch lamps on it. Next up is to find another sport with the black interior to strip and redo the blue interior of my truck. I really want bucket seats over the worn out bench in my truck. The engine doesnt visabliy burn any oil at 221K, still has plenty of power. The body looks great and I hope to get well past 300K out of the truck, even if I have to swap in a lower mileage motor. The 5spd was rebuilt 80K ago along with a new clutch and rear main seal on the engine. She is sitting on old Jeep alloy wheels, but I have a full set of factory sport alloys sitting in the back yard that I plan to get refinished and installed this spring. The CfC program got me several great deals on parts such as a new grill, reese hitch, the rims and a new AC/Heater controler. Here is a pic of how she was right after I got the truck and replaced the smashed fog lamps. the topper is off the truck and for sale. She had a good case of dodge paint peeling going on, so we had her repainted after getting the topper off the truck, she looks as new as an 88 can now. I will have new pics later this afternoon. Mike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a pic taken today of how the old girl looks now. I removed the bumperettes as one took quite a hit when the PO hit a deer, but it saved the hood and grill for the most part, it knocked the deer down and under the truck, smashing the fog lamps, air dam as he ran over it. I picked up a new grill from a C4C program that was almost like new condition wise. He had already replaced the air dam but the shop put cheap wally world fog lamps on it that were rusted out already. I reinsalled the correct Bosch fog lamps but with amber lenses. I also added a later model hood ornament as the 88's didnt have them. I am slowly turning this one into a long bed sport model. Cheers Mike

·
My horns hold up my halo!
5,992 Posts
really nice 88 u got there! welcome

·
Hunting Is Life!!
16,662 Posts
Welcome

1 - 11 of 11 Posts