Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, its been a long time coming..... it started leaking in the summer, and now that its getting cold, it needs to be replaced. i already have a replacement part, at this point im just looking for hints, tips, anything to make it easier... i have a three day weekend coming up and was planning on using all of that time as well as any free time i get before then to start this daunting project.......hints? tips? all are appreciated! thanks!

·
Registered
556 Posts
What brand part did you get? I just did this to my 2000 a few weeks ago. The brand that O'Reilly's carries does NOT fit. The Spectra brand DOES fit.

·
9,489 Posts
You should replace the evaporator while you're in there. Its more money but basically you're buying peace of mind that it won't start leaking in a month, and since you have to discharge the system to get the airbox out anyway you might as well do it..

You should also scrub the entire box out (including the moving doors and the lid) with dish soap and bleach solution to get rid of any mold that might be growing.. If the foam gaskets on the doors or around the passages are getting crumbly, you should replace those as well - Durango HVAC systems are shit as is, might as well give it the best chance of working properly.. :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Dont forget if you got the extra cash. Do the blower motor as well. When i did mine i had it out and reinstalled in about 9hrs and a 12pk :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
since its the first time ive had to do one of these, but im sure i can manage it with a 3 day weekend.... thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Do a search before you start though. I know theres a write up somewhere that will make it easier for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts