Dakota Durango Forum banner

Heater core keeps breaking

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Dodgeballs 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Dakota qc 4x4 4.7l. I am now on my 3rd heater core and once again in need of a new one. First original oem one went bad maybe 3 years ago. It lasted about 2 years. Installed now 3rd one and it lasted about 6 months. Problem is always the same small leak and steam when engine is warm and running. What could be causing these multiple failures.

Around same time my last one went out I believe I may have aquired a head gasket problem. Is it possible for a bad head gasket to damage a heater core.

#2 ·
Where is the leak developing? If it's at the heater hose connection, maybe something is putting undue stress on the connection -- like an unsecured heater hose.

#3 ·
I also was told by a dodge mechanic that obviously the heater cores are a known problem for dodge but he Al's said that it doesn't take much to clog them. He said guys will come into the shop to get the heater core replaced but fail to realize that the heater core is linked to your radiator and that if you have an old radiator that something could easily dislodge and clog up.the heater core. He wasn't recommending getting a new radiator every time your heater core goes bad but to flush out your radiator before hand so that if there is anything floating around perhaps it will come out before you into another core. I don't have an answer for why it's leaking though other than perhaps the hose clamps weren't tightened down enough or tightened too much

#6 ·
Are you putting in Autozone heater cores, or Mopar? When I did mine, a quick search indicated that every aftermarket heater core ever fails in short order. My mom put an autozone one in hers, lasted less than a year. I'm 3 years into a Mopar replacement, all good.

#7 ·
Are you putting in Autozone heater cores, or Mopar? When I did mine, a quick search indicated that every aftermarket heater core ever fails in short order. My mom put an autozone one in hers, lasted less than a year. I'm 3 years into a Mopar replacement, all good.
I’m just learning this the hard way. I replaced mine with one from Autozone. It lasted 6 months. I replaced that under warranty. Now that one is doing the same thing 6-7 months later.