Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Durango with leaky heater core. I am in Florida, and don't care much about heat. Would like to bypass the heater core, but I have never done this. Can someone explain step by step how I would accomplish this? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

·
9,487 Posts
If you don't ever need heat at all, just cut one of the hoses short enough to loop back from one port on the water pump to the other, and remove the rest. No need to get any more complicated than that.

If you find that you DO need heat and want to replace the core, there are a few ways that you can install a bypass that will cut the heater core off when desired so that it improves your A/C performance. You can install a single ball valve (good), 3 ball valves (better), or an automatic bypass valve (best). The automatic valve is only about $20, but requires you to run a new vacuum line through the firewall.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Not sure if you have the 5.2 or 5.9 or if they are different, but I just did this before changing my heater core in my 99' with a 5.2. TazRangos idea is probably better but what I did is below.

Take 2 pairs of vice grips or something equivlant, and clamp off each of your heater hoses about 8 inches or so away from the firewall (so you dont have to drain your coolant) leaving yourself enough room to pull them off. I duck taped the teeth on my vice grips as to not cut the heater hoses.

Once they are crimped (you will still lose some coolant out of the hoses so have some rags under the truck) pull the 2 heater hoses off of the inlet/outlet lines coming out of the firewall on the drivers side. I put quite a bit of muscle into mine and could not get the bottom one off so I had to cut it off, cut as little as possible unless you plan on replacing the hoses later. Pick up a heater hose connector for your size and 2 new clamps, only a few $$ at the parts store and simply connect the two heater hoses together. Mine are 5/8", but double check yours it should say what size the heater hoses are on the hoses themselves and thats the size connector you will ask for.

If I were you when done I would also stick your garden hose in either the inlet or outlet line on the heater core sticking out of the firewall and flush it out so its not full of coolant still. A quick search on heater core on here and you will probably find some pics of the lines crimped I know I have seen them. Top off your coolant when done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with a stopped up heater core. I flushed my system after a recent water pump, thermostat and fan clutch replacement and the temp would climb while stopped. I bypassed the heater core and the temperature is back to normal.

·
9,487 Posts
Uhhhh aside from the fact that this thread is four years old, the heater core has no bearing on overheating conditions (except to help drop the temperature by cranking the heat). Bypassing the heater core will NOT stop it from overheating in any way shape or form..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure if you have the 5.2 or 5.9 or if they are different, but I just did this before changing my heater core in my 99' with a 5.2. TazRangos idea is probably better but what I did is below.

Take 2 pairs of vice grips or something equivlant, and clamp off each of your heater hoses about 8 inches or so away from the firewall (so you dont have to drain your coolant) leaving yourself enough room to pull them off. I duck taped the teeth on my vice grips as to not cut the heater hoses.

Once they are crimped (you will still lose some coolant out of the hoses so have some rags under the truck) pull the 2 heater hoses off of the inlet/outlet lines coming out of the firewall on the drivers side. I put quite a bit of muscle into mine and could not get the bottom one off so I had to cut it off, cut as little as possible unless you plan on replacing the hoses later. Pick up a heater hose connector for your size and 2 new clamps, only a few $$ at the parts store and simply connect the two heater hoses together. Mine are 5/8", but double check yours it should say what size the heater hoses are on the hoses themselves and thats the size connector you will ask for.

If I were you when done I would also stick your garden hose in either the inlet or outlet line on the heater core sticking out of the firewall and flush it out so its not full of coolant still. A quick search on heater core on here and you will probably find some pics of the lines crimped I know I have seen them. Top off your coolant when done.
hey can you tell me how you got to the core hoses? Did you go behind the tire?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts