Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my heater core last year and I think it is again leaking. Has anyone had one fail after only a year. My carpet is wet, not soaked and it doesn't really smell like antifreeze. I remember when it leaked it stunk. I was wondering if the carpet just never dried out. I put pig mat under it and I think that may have made the drying out worse. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. Jim

·
We Are 138
13,200 Posts
First things first, the floor is wet.. Determine what it is.. Water? Antifreeze? I've heard that the A/C drain can become clogged and then you'll have water dripping in the floor, as if it were a heater core.

·
Ghetto Bomber
300 Posts
First things first, the floor is wet.. Determine what it is.. Water? Antifreeze? I've heard that the A/C drain can become clogged and then you'll have water dripping in the floor, as if it were a heater core.
Exactly right. If it doesn't smell like coolant, it probably isn't. There's a TSB about the A/C drain, and the fix is to RTV the tube where it goes through the floor. I may have a copy of it somewhere (I'll go look) as my truck had the same problem. Anyway, I did this and it solved my problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys. I checked the level in the rad this AM and it is OK. I was REALLY panicking though for a while there. Please if you can find that AC drip mod I would appreciate. Thanks. Jim

·
Ghetto Bomber
300 Posts
Thank you guys. I checked the level in the rad this AM and it is OK. I was REALLY panicking though for a while there. Please if you can find that AC drip mod I would appreciate. Thanks. Jim
It's not in the house ... have to go look in the garage. In the meantime, try googling "Dodge Dakota A/C drain TSB" or something like that. I know it's on Alldata, but that costs money. I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found this in the search. Is this it? Thanks. Jim

I have a 2002 Dakota with the 4.7 V-8. You need to remove an aluminum heat sheild on the firewall on the AC side. One nut is easy to remove and the other is very hard. I used an 11mm open end wrench and taped an extension on it and moved the nut 1/2 turn at a time. You can't do this with engine hot as the exhaust is in the way. Once the sheild is removed get a half inch 90 degree street elbow in PVC from a hardware store. You will see the AC condensate drain, I used RTV as an adhesive and stuck it in. This makes the water run down and away from the firewall and keeps the water from running back into the cab. You need to trim the corner off the sheild and re attach.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
it's easier to just put a 90deg bend hose on the end of the a/c drain. it's a tight squeeze getting in there and i don't know how to get a tube of RTV back there. all i had to do is pop a hose on and no more leaks. it's what should have been there in the first place. i have a post about this with the part number.

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148268

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's easier to just put a 90deg bend hose on the end of the a/c drain. it's a tight squeeze getting in there and i don't know how to get a tube of RTV back there. all i had to do is pop a hose on and no more leaks. it's what should have been there in the first place. i have a post about this with the part number.

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148268
Thanks. I have not checked into it any further yet. I hate when it is dark when I get home. The Dodge doesn't fit in my small barn so I am in the driveway. Thank again. Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts