Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1993 Dakota, the headlights are yellowed and don't give out much light. Is there a way to clean the lens or a decent replacement? Thanks

·
Subscribed Member
265 Posts
Ive also heard that you can use a metal polish (like mother's) and a application pad to remove the oxidation without damaging the housing.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
Any rough cut body cleaner wax/ scratch remover will work as well. I used "scratch out" by KIT.

·
Dakota Enthusiast
406 Posts
Flitz can do it all.

Use it to polish any metal, polish oxidized paint, restore fiberglass & plastic, as well as windows.

I am an authorized Flitz dealer.

Feel free to ask any questions, or visit our website for deals and kits.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Polish isn't gonna cut it man. You're going to have to sand the layer of shit off of them.

Sand wet, start with 800 to remove the layer of oxidation/filth. Move to 2000 grit (can do 1000 in between if you like) and get all the scratches out so its smooth, just cloudy. Now get to work with some rubbing compound, then polishing compound and finish up with a good plastic polish like Meguiars PlastX (my fav).

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Polish isn't gonna cut it man. You're going to have to sand the layer of shit off of them.

Sand wet, start with 800 to remove the layer of oxidation/filth. Move to 2000 grit (can do 1000 in between if you like) and get all the scratches out so its smooth, just cloudy. Now get to work with some rubbing compound, then polishing compound and finish up with a good plastic polish like Meguiars PlastX (my fav).
Bah!!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I used toothpaste and it worked pretty good. No kidding just scrub it good with some toothpaste and then wash it of with water then wax them.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Polishing compound (cheap 3.00 for turtle wax at auto store) will shave off the dull yellow layer of plastic then use some plastic polish to get rid of the hazyness.

·
408,R3,Indy Heads,Twin66s
2,743 Posts
Just buy some new ones on ebay.

·
Jacked up RANGO
865 Posts

X2!!!

YES THAT WORKS THE BEST..you HAVE to sand them down, thats the best way. polish will just polish the shit thats on it.

You gotta get that shit off first. TRUST ME it will look amazing. Ive done this MANYY MANYY times.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
polish is like liquid sandpaper (rub some between your fingers) except it doesnt go deep enough to scratch the lenses. Unless their flakeing I would not use sandpaper.

·
R/T to the GT!
1,932 Posts

X3

it works well, if you have the patience to do it right, but if the headlights are bad, it takes a while. I need to redo mine, actually. I didnt spend enough time on mine the first time, I'm sure that with a little more patience I can get them almost brand new

Also, if you can get it, 3000 grit sandpaper works wonders

·
don't feed the bears
10,668 Posts
Like mentioned the sandpaper and polish will work...

I used this method on my beater car and it produced results. but it was not amazing and i was not happy wiith it. .

IMO i would buy new ones off ebay. or check the boneyards for a better set.

it saves time and if you dont already have the sandpaper and polish that stuff will cost you at least ten bucks plus the time to sand and polish.. just spend the fifty bucks and buy a new set.. keep the old set so when you get rid of the truck you can resell the new set on ebay.:D

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Headlight restoration

Hey guys I used the sandpaper and polish method and it worked really good. I couldn't get off all of the scracthes though because some are on the inside but it took off the haze no problem. Here are some pictures; before on the right and after on the left.

P1010679.JPG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts