Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys so I'm in a little bit of a pinch right now. I traveled 100 miles to see my girlfriend for the weekend and when I got off at the exit I went to a gas station to check my oil. After that I went into the gas station to go to the bathroom, but my key fob didn't work, after I came back, I noticed that my headlights didn't work, or any of my interior lights for that matter. When I turn the truck on, the engine light doesn't come on, but the 4WD Service Light came, how crazy is that. So I drove to her house and I parked it, and thats where it's been so far. I really would like to drive it tomorrow and have it fixed.

Here are my symptoms:

>Headlights/Fogs lights don't work when I switch the knob around.
>4WD Service light is on
>I've had a tiny bit of oil leaking within the last two months, but I checked the dipstick and nothing is wrong.
>I can turn my emerengcy flashers and blinkers on, left and right. (but not with the knob)
>The car turns on just fine
>No fuses are blown to my knowledge
>It runs no error codes (I checked)
>I have a superchips installed (recently updated)
>My door locks don't work but my windows can go up or down

What I need:

>Answers ASAP
>How to take out the headlight knob switch (diagram, how-to)

>How to further diagnose my problem
>Is it safe to drive in the daylight, am I harming anything?
>Does it have anything to do with my oil?

Sorry if I seem rude, but I need to start driving this thing in the morning. I'll check back at about 9:30 AM eastern. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds a lot like a bad CTM. Check in the kick panel behind the parking brake pedal and make sure that the cables haven't come loose from the computer there. The CTM controls all the things that are broken in your truck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh, as a followup. It's safe to drive in the daylight. You're not going to be able to use power locks or the headlight switch and the transfer case is going to stay in 2x4 mode. Might expect some of the gauges to not work right, but nothing actually related to the engine or transmission. Just controls on the interior.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
As said above, the Central Timer Module (CTM) controls those things.

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just checked with the local dealer, $344 for the Time and Alarm Module, which is apparently the same thing....I can find a used CTM on Ebay for $48.

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I fixed it with taking the connectors out of the CTM, blowing on both the female and the male side, and plugged it back in! And it worked! The CTM is located behind the kick panel near the drivers ankle (parking break). You need to take out 1 Phillips screw to get to it. Thanks for all of your help guys, you saved me a lot of money this weekend!

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
I have my old one in the garage, do you actually need a picture?
So you ended up replacing the CTM anyways? I ask because your fix of disconnecting the CTM and plugging it back in just resets it and the problem usually comes back after a little while.

For anyone how finds this thread via searching etc, not all CTMs are created equal, even between models and years. Depending on the features that came with your truck, you could have a different CTM them a truck with the same year/make/model that has different set of features. So if you buy a used one, make sure it is the same part number as the one in your truck. Good luck... :drive:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys! I have the same symptoms on my 2004 dodge dakota sxt but they all occurred after white smoke came out from under my drivers side dash right by the windshield. any ideas on what that could possibly be besides the CTM?

also. had a new windshield installed yesterday, and a rain came in last night. don't know if maybe a leak behind the windshield could have done that or not...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for this information. The same thing happen to 2001 Dodge Durango. I did what you did and IT WORKED! you are a lifesaver and saved me $700 from the mechanic. THANK YOU!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts