Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
r/t wannabe
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am having a very interesting problem with my '98 Dakota. I bought it wrecked and am putting the finishing touches on rebuilding it.

One of the few gremlins left is that the wipers come on whenever the headlights and right turn signal are on. It does not happen with the left turn signal, and it does not happen with the parking lights. What could be causing this? Multi-function switch? Headlight switch? Wiring, fuse, or relay?

·
r/t wannabe
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.

Okay, so I'm re-visiting this issue on my truck. I replaced the multi-function switch, but it did not help.

Here is everything that seems to be going wrong.

With the headlights off:

Wipers are activated when right turn signal is activated.

With the headlights on:

The wipers stay on.
The right turn signal indicator in the gauge cluster remains on.
The right turn signal blinks very slowly and inconsistently.
Passenger headlight and parking lights are dimmer than driver side.

I'm going to pull steering column back apart and check for lose wires and also look for any missing ground connections. What else should I be looking for? Are there any other components that could be bad like a junction box or relays?

·
9,487 Posts
That is absolutely a bad ground and things are backfeeding into each other. You can't have that combination of issues from bad relays/modules or anything on the positive side. All of those are grounded through G101. That should be bolted to the front right inner fender, near the horn.

Reactions: dakotadriver360

·
r/t wannabe
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is absolutely a bad ground and things are backfeeding into each other. You can't have that combination of issues from bad relays/modules or anything on the positive side. All of those are grounded through G101. That should be bolted to the front right inner fender, near the horn.
Thank you. I will check that out when I get home from work to see if I missed that ground altogether or if it doesn't have a good connection.

·
r/t wannabe
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, you were absolutely correct. Problem solved. Thanks a ton.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am having a similar problem with my 2000 dakota. right blinker light is on inside when the headlights come on and the horn doesn't work but when i press it the wipers come on. i know i have a ground problem because i just switched my front fenders but i have no idea what i did wrong. all grounds are connected but still having problem. an ideas?

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,482 Posts
i am having a similar problem with my 2000 dakota. right blinker light is on inside when the headlights come on and the horn doesn't work but when i press it the wipers come on. i know i have a ground problem because i just switched my front fenders but i have no idea what i did wrong. all grounds are connected but still having problem. an ideas?
The thread was about 5 years old.

"All grounds are connected" which ones to where? You're describing a floating ground with the lights, which tells me that a ground isn't connected to the chassis properly somewhere.

RwP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you so much i had this same problem last night and replacing the ground fixed it perfectly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts