Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize there is a specific headlight section, but due to the age of my Durango, I wanted to see if there were any updates...anything that worked, but is no longer available (such as aftermarket suspensions for 2000+), vs. new innovations.

Headlights: It's a 2000 Durango, stock headlights that are cloudy. I don't want something too modern or space age, I just want something that fits without modification (OEM fit and finish), something that lights up well, if not better than stock. Can I do that with better bulbs, or do I have to go space age? Etc. What are the good brands? Anzo? TYC? Other? Amazon and other vendors have tons of options, and like with anything else, for every 5 star review, there is a one star review....most having to do with fit and finish. Having to shim in order to aim properly, etc. Can I have the best of both worlds.....OEM fit and finish with modern performance, without looking like they are out of place?

Foglights: What are my options here? Are there any direct fit fogs or even driving lights that will install easily, and use the same wiring?

Taillights: Same as headlights....OEM fit and finish with modern performance....not TOO modern of a look. LED ok in this case, as long as they aren't too wild.

Thank you!

·
Registered
725 Posts
The factory headlights are hard to beat as far as fit, finish, price and availability. Aftermarket options will have various features if you want them. Things like LED turn signals, Halos, Projector beams, etc.

My own experience with aftermarket lights aren't too bad but it wasn't perfect either. Like you, my original headlights were cloudy. I tried to buff them out with little success, and the factory turn signals had corroded sockets resulting in one of the marker light being always out and a fast blinker. I decided to replace the headlights with Euro syle lights with Halos, to help update the look of my truck. I had problems with installation. The adjustment screws were so far out that when I initially installed the lights, there was a huge gap between the lights and the fender. To draw the light in, I had to turn those screws a lot and that resulted in stripping the phillips slot. I ended up using a dremel tool with a cut off blade to grind a slot for a flat blade screw driver. Other than that, they worked fine and the headlights seemed brighter. Unfortunately, one of the lights was damaged while the truck was in the shop. I replaced them with a used pair of factory headlights, I purchased in a junk yard. Later, I decided to buy another set of Euro style lights, similar to the pair I had, except this set had LED turn signals, whereas the previous pair did not. And these didn't have the install problem of the first set. I really considered projector beams, but the two styles that are currently offered are not as attractive to me. One style has turn signals above the headlights which I didn't like and the other projector beam lights stick out and look bug eyed.

Ed

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have a 2002.
About every couple of years, I end up refinishing the lights/ foglights.
For $10, you cannot beat this 3m kit.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AIZ5HY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]
The 3000 Grit Trizact pad is really better than the knockoff brands for the final finish.
I usually use the DA sander with 320, 600, 800, 1500, to start. (I am lazy and that makes it fast.)
I have upgraded bulbs but I forget which ones.

I think about getting different lights but I do not need another project making parts fit where don't want to.

Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did the same thing as WestCoastKevin. Though I'm not a huge fan of cheap tools, Harbor Freight sells a kit with everything you need, for $15, as long as you own a decent corded or (cordless) drill with a couple charged batteries. You can put together your own set after, but to this day I still use the Velcro pad attachment that came with the kit (might hold the record for oldest surviving Harbor Freight tool, lol).

I bought some clear signals for my 2000, people were offering me $50-75 for them when I parted her out later. $36 on eBay. Here's a before 20170421_111755_1559805476740.jpg and after and after a 2nd treatment with my version of that above mentioned kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've buffed out my headlights a couple of times. It made a big difference. The last time, I installed Silverstar bulbs, and that helped too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When i got my 02 Durango r/t it had issues with the passenger tail light. Found through here OEM was about 50/50 to be defective in the molded sockets. Through various replacements that used the factory socket type the problem was persistent. I eventually found a set on ebay which were LED for the brake and parking lights but used a 3157 bulb for reverse light. Also the reverse light had its own unique type of plug/socket, and lights up both elements in the bulb. The only downfall for me is that they look like gen 2 tail lights which i hate, but the functionality is incredible compared to OEM

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts