Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on replacing the OEM headlight bulbs with Kyoto Super Xenon 100/80W bulbs (these are a direct 9007 replacement bulb) and wondered if anyone has done this yet. If so, were there harness issues, or will it take the voltage ok?

If the OEM wiring isn't up to the job, I'll have the OEM harness flip an HD relay that will turn on the lights. But if I can save myself that work... :biggthump

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
You dont wanna put any bulbs in that are over stock wattage which is 65/55, otherwise, it will eventually melt the harnesses. I have bulbs called EuroLite by toucan. You can get a set off ebay, and they are bright as hell. Pure white light, no colors, or yellow filament, just white light.

~CYCLONE_06

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well then I'll just use a relay. Have the stock harness feed a relay, which has heavier duty wiring that is also short. Then the heavier bulbs won't melt down the wiring. Viola! :woowoo:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm. Are they as bright as a 100/80 set would be? I like really REALLY bright lights. And can use them where I live...

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
I think the EuroLites and the Sylvanias must be pretty close to the same thing. I think the sylvanias are a bit too pricey, but they must be good bulbs, I hear a lot of good testimonials on them. I used to be able to get the EuroLites at circuit city, but they no longer carry them.

~CYCLONE_06

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WicKed R/T said:
I run the sylvania silverstar headlights. They give off a nice white light and are brighter than the stock bulbs
How much brighter? A real (pardon the pun) day and night difference? :rofl: Or just a little bit? I'm really after some serious light here. I'll be adding some 150W and 210W lights to the front end as well, for when it's REALLY dark.

See, I live on the edge of the sticks, and business often has me out where the only light is starshine for hours. I want real light here. This area really calls for it.

Besides, I like it!

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
I dont know if it makes that much difference. You are talking about the baja lights with that. You might just wanna install a light bar with some PIAA's on there.

~CYCLONE_06

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yaaaah. I'm waiting for my Westin Ultimate Bull bar to get in. I really hate overhead light bars. IMHO, puts the light in the wrong place. I do a lot of 4 wheeling (not in this truck) and know that having the lights lower makes a huge difference in what I see when driving. I also don't like the hood glare from overhead lights.

Seems my best bet is to put in a relay. No problem!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I would say that the Eurolites change the color from a yellowish to a nice white, but I can't say that they are a LOT brighter, they look a lot better, though.

I should add, though, that I may have to aim them a bit. I get the impression now with them that they may be aimed a bit low. I never noticed it when they were a dull yellow...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BlackDak said:
I should add, though, that I may have to aim them a bit. I get the impression now with them that they may be aimed a bit low. I never noticed it when they were a dull yellow...

Oh man, thats comedy. :rofl:

When I put the 300W lights on my 4x4, I had them aimed wrong, and didn't know it till we were out in the boonies. I fired them up and they shone straight into the truck of the guy in front of me. Wanna know what 2 300W lights feels like? Like sunburn, man! He was pissed for quite some time, and half blind for hours...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the Eurolites also. They are friggin awsome. I'm not a white light kinda guy, I like the blue tints, lol. 6000K is a lot of light.

·
Registered
10 Posts
-=ChAoS=- said:
How much brighter? A real (pardon the pun) day and night difference? :rofl: Or just a little bit? I'm really after some serious light here. I'll be adding some 150W and 210W lights to the front end as well, for when it's REALLY dark.

See, I live on the edge of the sticks, and business often has me out where the only light is starshine for hours. I want real light here. This area really calls for it.

Besides, I like it!
I have Sylvania Xenarc X1010 HID aux low beams. They make a huge difference in night time visability. These are aux low beams, not driving lights so they produce a wide intense light out to low beam distances. They are well worth the $318 they cost at suvlights.com. I had them on my 96 Dakota and will put them on my new 05 Dakota in the next few days. I took them off the 96 before I traded.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I am adding a set of driving lights as well. But I'm after brighter headlights as well. I got my Ultimate Bull bar, now just need time to install it and wire up the lights...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.