Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
DANGURO5
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Currently have the euro clear headlights on my D and i was wondering if anyone knew how to remove the lens from the housing....got a lil project im trying to complete and removing the lens is a BIG part of completing the project :biggthump . Any suggestion are better than my lack of ideas.

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Someone actually did this one time. I forgot how he did it. He took the Diamond clear lense off of the originals they came on, and took his stock lenses off the stock headlights, and put the Diamond clear lenses on the Stock housing... it looked really sharp, and they emitted extremely bright light, since the light wasnt broken by a bunch of cuts in the reflective lense.

~CYCLONE_06

·
DANGURO5
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Help

If you can find the thread or the site that told how to do that i would GREATLY appreciate that. Trying to get this done as part of my summer project

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
I believe it was this site... and the guys name is Amber00dak or something to that effect.

If its not here its on www.dakotausa.com

Ill try to find it, but im not sure...

~CYCLONE_06

·
DANGURO5
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I check that site and cant find anyting, thanks for all your help thus far

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Yea I cant find it on either site. I think he put them in the over, at 350 degrees to heat the glue up for a certain amount of minutes to make it soft enough to pull the halves apart, but I cant find it to save my life... I have checked here and the other site...

~CYCLONE_06

·
DANGURO5
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some luck

I have found about 4 other sites telling how to remove the headlight lens for other cars (wrx, s2000) just not the durango. the have said what you just said about baking the headlight in the oven so that the glue will get soft enough to pry the two appart. Im just a bit skeptical about puttin my headlight in the oven cause scared the damn thing will melt. Thanks again for all your help. I am gonna try the method you stated along with the ones i have found and hopefully will come up with something. I will post pics if the project works out and a do it yourself guide to removing the lens if the process works

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Let me know how it goes bud. I think you leave it in for a minute or 2. Im not sure. I wouldnt leave them in any longer than that.

~CYCLONE_06

·
DANGURO5
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will definately let you know how it goes. hopefully i will get a chance to work on the project this weekend. I will keep ya posted

·
Registered
152 Posts
350-400 degrees for 10-15 minutes. go to newtiburon.com and search for the same thing. These guys give great DIYs, very thourogh and precise. The procedure should be the same for just about damn near all light housings...taillights included

·
DANGURO5
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx

Thanks Dawg :biggthump , do you think that the aftermarket euro clear headlights can withstand that type of heat, on that site they are removing the lens on a factory headlight and common knowledge says aftermarket not as durable as factory.

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
They should be ok because they are made by Depo, the same company that makes the factory headlights.

~CYCLONE_06

·
DANGURO5
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good lookin all, hopefully i can get this project under way and post some pics, now just gotta wait on some more parts. will keep ya'll posted. does depo have a website??

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Not sure if they have a website. Might try a google search ? Hows the project going ? You know another thing you might wanna do... if you have amber bulbs, go buy some silver engine enamel. Tape the bulbs around their bases where the wiring is... tape them to straws. Hold them up by the straws, as far away from you as you can, then take the silver engine enamel, and lightly dust the bulbs. Let them dry, then install them in the clear corners. This keeps the bulbs amber and legal, but makes them silver, so they are not as noticeable. The engine enamel will withstand the heat. ;) Notice my corner 194 bulb in this pic. Its Painted in silver engine enamel. Cant really see it, but still lights up amber.

~CYCLONE_06

·
DANGURO5
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Coming soon!

Nice mod Cyclone, i dont use amber bulbs since i have hid's and hyper white fogs and wanted to keep the whole blueish look. definately would try that if i was still using amber bulbs. The project has taken a turn since i am adding something else to the project, lets just say it will DEFINATELY be a one of a kind :mullet: . Project won't be done till around november due to parts back order but will definately post progress pics.

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Cool. Yea man, keep us updated on progress. I always find it fascinating to see what people do with their head / tail lights.

~CYCLONE_06

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
CYCLONE_06 said:
You know another thing you might wanna do... if you have amber bulbs, go buy some silver engine enamel. Tape the bulbs around their bases where the wiring is... tape them to straws. Hold them up by the straws, as far away from you as you can, then take the silver engine enamel, and lightly dust the bulbs. Let them dry, then install them in the clear corners. This keeps the bulbs amber and legal, but makes them silver, so they are not as noticeable. The engine enamel will withstand the heat. ;) Notice my corner 194 bulb in this pic. Its Painted in silver engine enamel. Cant really see it, but still lights up amber.

~CYCLONE_06
You can get chrome bulbs for the signal bulbs and the corner bulb. LED 194 replacements are also available.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts