Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the main 40 amp fuse/relay in the underhood box but I read somewhere that there was two 10 amp fuses for the drivers and passenger side low beam lights.

Is that true and if so where can I fine these fuses?

·
1 Timothy 6:6-16
395 Posts
Dang man I seached all over and have no ideas.I'd check on my Rango but I'm at work and it's home. I have seen that for sure on vehicles in the past that had two seperate fuses. Maybe even was Dodge. I'm new to the Rango, but there is alot of guys here that know their stuff. TazRango seams to know what he's talking about , try pm'n him.

·
9,489 Posts
There are two small fuses in the under-hood fusebox (PDC) for the headlights.. Im not runnin outside right now to look but there is a map on the underside of the plastic lid that will show you (it is mirror-imaged though so read it carefully). The "headlight relay" will not cause the headlights not to work, it is only for the alarm.

What seems to be your boggle?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a correctly working passenger side low beam, the drive side does not work. Someone before me had jumped the drivers side over to the passenger side with a wire and if I connected that then the drivers side works, without it it does not. Before I go digging into wiring and switches I wanted to check the fuses that I had read it had I will go unhook the jumper wire so it wont back feed and test the fuses now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the underhood fuse box and there is no mention of individual headlight fuses just the one 40amp fuse are they located in a different spot maybe in a different box or something?

·
9,489 Posts
Does yours not look like this?

·
395 Posts
Mine is just like Taz Rango's fuse 18 and 20 for mine.. You said it lights up with the jumper right? I would trace the low beam wire back to where the break is or maybe stumble on a fuse.

·
9,489 Posts
Hmm. Interesting. I'll see what I can find..

·
395 Posts
Humor us and fire it up with the low beams on and tilt the wheel up and down slowly and see if it comes on or something. I read another post just now on a search and it said the same thing was culprit for another no low beam. The cut wire in the area of the tilt mech.
I guess though if that was the case you wouldn't have that one low beam. I'm stumped..lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was wondering about maybe something going screwy in the dimmer switch not feeding power to the drivers side correctly.

·
395 Posts

·
9,489 Posts
Yeah like I said, don't concern yourself with the 'headlight relay'. Its only function is to flash the lights when the alarm or panic button is triggered. It does not factor into the normal operation of the headlights..

The dimmer switch would not have anything to do with one light being out.. It has one output for each beam that splits near the driver's side headlight.

And yes, according to the factory manual, the brilliant designers at Daimler in all their wisdom decided to put the headlight fuses in a super-secret fusebox - and not make any mention of it in the owner's manual.. Presumably to drive business to the service departments where they can charge 90 bucks to change a blown fuse.. :jerkit:

Anyway, get yourself a flashlight and look up under the dash, on the backside of the fusebox you know about.. You will see a smaller block with two relays and three fuses. The two 10A fuses in the A and B positions are for the headlights.

I didn't think of it at first because on my truck the fuses on that stupid block serve something different - the headlight fuses are right in the PDC under the hood.

In the truck it should be vertical though with the fuses along the bottom.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you guys so much! They were right where taz said to look sure enough blown Drivers side fuse popped in a new one and works like a charm!

·
9,489 Posts
Great info man. I actually looked closer at my pdc and it's actually even different yet then both of yours . Doesn't even show a headlamp relay..lol
Yeah because starting in 01 the headlights are fed directly through the CTM (Central Timer Module) which allows for the auto-off feature. Since the CTM also controls the alarm, the relay is not needed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts