Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today was the first day where we have had sun in about a month. So I decided to do some work on my baby.

I got new headlight bulbs of ebay and figured today was a good day to install them. My neighbor has a mustang and all you do is pull the wire out the back switch the bulbs and put it back in. If you have hands bigger than an infants you can't do that with a Durango.

I went to the parts page and found out that you have to take the housing off. I couldn't get the screws out. I think I'm doing something wrong. :help:

I know a bunch of people have done this supposedly easy task. So if you can give me some detailed instructions, then I would be very appreciative.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I think that the screws you were unscrewing were the alignment screws to adjust the beam path. They are long and take for ever to unscrew. Defintely the wrong ones.

It is really easy. LOL. First remove the lower amber corner housing. To do this there will be a screw, probably a torx #10 in theoutside corner between the headlight and the amber corners. This is the only screw you need to unscrew to remove the corner lights. Pull the corners straight out, it is held on by plastic clips. Remove the bulbs by twisting a 1/4 turn. Now that thing is out of the way it only gets easier. There are three bolts and a ball/joint clip that hold the headlight housing in place. Using a socket wrench with an extender unbolt the three bolts. Then firmly grasp the headlight and pull straight out to free the ball joint clip. Remove the headlight bulb and Bada Bing Foooghetaboutit! Good Luck I hope this helps!

Here is what mine look like:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mad2215, if you found that the screws you were trying to take out were the very long ones, like Goon said, you were unscrewing the alignment screws. I definatly recommend going to a shop ASAP to have them re-aim/align your headlights.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
force your hand down the back side. it'll go. :eek:wned: I tore my hand to shreds getting mine in, but there in :biggthump

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I have soem pretty big hands and it gets frustrating trying to get them into small places in the engine bay. I especially noticed this when chaging over the wire loom.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
those alignment screws aren't coming out. i tried. glad i didn't try harder.

goon which turn signal bulbs are those?

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Sylvania Silverstars. THey are blue and amber when lit.

C

·
0 Posts
rockadaous said:
force your hand down the back side. it'll go. :eek:wned: I tore my hand to shreds getting mine in, but there in :biggthump
Yes, thats what I did too. It took awhile but they are in and it works. If I had to do it again I would pull the housing off and install from the front.

C

·
0 Posts
GOON'S D said:
Sylvania Silverstars. THey are blue and amber when lit.
Where did you get your headlight assembly from and is there any difference in lighting than the stock ones??

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
it's made by depo
you can pick them up from a couple of places. we had a group buy not to long ago. you can also find them on ebay and http://www.procarparts.com
they're a great addition to the truck

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
What Rock said.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts