Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as HIDS in factory housings suck for everyone you meet what would be some good replacement bulbs that I can pick up online or in a local parts store to brighten my headlights up a little?

I have one that is out on lowbeam anyway so I gotta buy some anyway.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Could try the slyvania silverstars ive heard there good bulbs

·
9,489 Posts
I have Silverstars.. There expensive if you don't get them on sale but they are one of the rare brands that actually works as advertised..

You should actually search out the German OSRAM version. They work even better because they dont have the blue coating on the bulb.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have used the silverstars in my civic before but I was debating on these three. Unless anyone says other wise I am probablly going to go back with the silverstar ultras but I wanted to ask first.

Philips 9007 X-treme Power Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2 29.46
Sylvania 9007SU BP SilverStar Ultra High Performance Halogen Headlight 29.98
Sylvania 9007 SilverStar zXe High Performance Headlight 49.99

·
Registered
92 Posts
Im also interested in upgrading my headlight bulbs but I know nothing about which ones are good. I don't want ones that appear blueish, I would like ones projecting white light. Anything inexpensive that are decent (a little better than stock?)

·
Registered
92 Posts
So I think I found the bulbs I want... Does anyone know about the Sylvania Cool Blue bulbs? They seem to be what I'm looking for inexpensive white lights that are a little better than stock. They are $15.95 a 2 pack on Amazon.

I do need help with what the 9003, 9004, 9005, 9006, 9007 numbers mean?

Also do my parking lightbulbs need to be orange coated because I plan on buying clear corner lights?

Like I said I don't know much about headlights

·
9,489 Posts
Blue is always a bad choice when it comes to headlights. Your eyes suck at picking up blue light at night, and what they do pick up is seen as glare. If you want to look like a ricer dork, get blue bulbs. If you actually want to see where you're going, get the Silverstars or Xtravision (just as bright as Silverstars but not as white - but much cheaper)

9003/9004/900? etc are the different headlight bulb numbers. Your truck takes 9007.

The turn signal (3157) and corner (194) bulbs must show amber. So either get LEDs (I have them, they look great - but a bit pricey), amber bulbs, or Sylvania makes a bulb that looks silver when off but lights up amber.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really like the xtravisions they are 28 bucks on amazon and are brighter than the factory sylvanias. I am at my limit on the headlights I have because they are fogged over. I am going to get me a set of projectors later I think.

·
Registered
92 Posts
ok it seems like the xtravisions are more suited for me...

The Cool Blue lights do not project blue light, they project white light. Are the bulbs blue themselves? And it seems they are not very good from what your saying so they are crossed off the list Thanks

I still might check out other ones, I don't want to spend a ton of money on lights.

Trying to keep the bill under $200

So far its going to be about $100 for headlights $40 fog lamps $45 clear corners, It seems it may not be possible to keep it under 2 bills.

·
Cereal Killer
200 Posts
I think my total bill was 180. I got the fog light housings free with my new bumper tho.

I got the one piece black housing smoked lights, Phillips extreme bulbs, nokya hyper yellow fog bulbs, 4 turn signal bulbs, and two parking light bulbs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts