Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
5 NINE DAK
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best headers for the 5.9 motor in a dakota, its a 99' by the way...and where can i buy them? :help:

·
Registered
227 Posts
well if you can believe what people tell you then the best headers are the gsmotorsports headers. they avg more hp and torque than those offered by jba and mopar, also known as pph headers. however they are expensive, like 650, and according to some dynos then the mopar ones,550, are the next best followed by the jbas,380 and up depending on coating. i'd say you get what you pay for in this case and the gs ones are really good but if you wanna save some dough go mopar unless you're on a very tight budget then jba but they def. have less hp increase from the dyno results i've seen. find the gs ones at gsmotorsports.com and you can find mopar and jba at krcperformance.com as well as other performance shops

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
http://www.gsmotorsports.com/ makes the best set of headers around for the 5.9 dakotas, 2nd place would have to be either the mopar/pph headers or hooker long tubes. There's a company working on another set that's supposed to be as good if not better than all 3 and cheaper. Cant say what company though, but im sure those that know are waiting on them, i am

B

·
0 Posts
I have the jba's and they are ok but for the most gains go with the GSM ones. I will as soon as I get the change..

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
depends on what you direction ya is going with the motor.

gonna do a lot of mods... heads, cam, spray, power adder?? get the GSM`s... :bow:

just doin the usual bolt ons stock block and maybe spray??,.. MOPAR/PPH`s... maybe the GSM`s is ya is goin deeper in the future. :banana2:

just want a set of headers and playing the SMOG rules... MOPAR/PPH`s or the JBA`s... :wave:

there are a few diff parts ##`s for the PPH`s depending on year.... diff CARB ##`s to for each year. if htats a factor then pay attention. every now and again ya find a set on Ebay but get on them in a quickness...

speaking of Ebay... stay far away from the SSAutochrome ones.... not the best flanges out there and leak like crazy and very small tubes... unless they have made improvments.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Anyone have a link to the GS dyno tests on their headers?

·
Registered
227 Posts
they had that info on their old website but now that they've redone the site i don't think it's there, i'll let you know if i find it though

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
On my 99 R/T i'm using the mopar headers for 99's.They dont use a y-pipe but have dual pipes running side by side (like harleys) that dump into a dual inlet cat. Thats where i did a little modification and cut 6 inches off the down tubes then ordered a dual 2.5 by 3 inch y-pipe from magnaflow so i can use there 3 inch hi-flow cat TOTALLY TRICK and i wouldn't be surprised if they didn't flow equal to the gsm's. by the way how about some votes for me on TOM,please

M

·
0 Posts
I would stay away from the JBA's!! I was told they are not good. After I bought a set. :dammit: Now one is cracked!!! :rant:

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Magnum said:
I would stay away from the JBA's!! I was told they are not good. After I bought a set. :dammit: Now one is cracked!!! :rant:
Really? I had a set on my 95, never had 1 problem with em... Really thinking of gettin another set for this bitch. Has anyone tried these Hooker Headers for the Dakotas? I can get a screaming deal on them more than likely through work. I like cheap, but if they suck I don't want em!

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
flowtechs fit nice. sound good too.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
MagnumDak said:
john at southeast will have a set soon

if ya want to believe the old rumors, the GSM`s are based (losely) on John`s old design....he couldnt get them made so Scott jumped on them and the rest is history.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
MeanThree18 said:
Really? I had a set on my 95, never had 1 problem with em... Really thinking of gettin another set for this bitch. Has anyone tried these Hooker Headers for the Dakotas? I can get a screaming deal on them more than likely through work. I like cheap, but if they suck I don't want em!
If you plan on true duals and no cats Hooker race headers are probably the best you can get.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Steve,
Any pics from under the truck of your exhaust? Did the Hooker Headers bolt up, or did you have to modify them?
Bill

·
493 Posts
WicKed R/T said:
He needs to hurry up, ive been waiting for a long time for those to come out.......my truck is suffocating...sorta...hehe
tell me about it. but....I talked to him last week and the passenger side has one lil tweak left on it. then all they have to do is go into production. he is pushing the header shop real hard because of a guy who is doing a big race and really needs them soon, but you never know since he has to depend on another shop.
I call dibs :biggthump

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
razman131 said:
if ya want to believe the old rumors, the GSM`s are based (losely) on John`s old design....he couldnt get them made so Scott jumped on them and the rest is history.
Yeah, Scott pretty much took John's idea, i guess you could say. But as far as the GSM headers, They're the best out right now but they are way overpriced, IMO. Ive been told that the new ones are VERY competitively(sp?) priced.

·
Chest Thumper
978 Posts
MeanThree18 said:
if theres other mods u wana do, do those first. 92/93's have the better exhaust manifolds. only diffrence would be very little, would def not justify the price tag if ur buyin short tubes

1 - 20 of 24 Posts