Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on purchasing a set of headers for my 4.7L Durango sometime in the near future. However, I'm just concerned on how much noise this will add to my existing exhaust. I had a MagnaFlow straight through muffler and SS tip installed and it gave an improved acceleration and subtle but aggressive roar at the turn of the ignition and at around 2200+ RPM. How much more noise can I expect with a set of headers bolted on? And how much more horses can I expect? Will more HP be gained at the low end, mid or top end? So far my engine is bone stock with no aftermarket intake system, etc. Thanks.

Joshua

·
Registered
504 Posts
The headers will add to the noise factor but not all that much. HP gain on a stock engine will be on the low side. If you picked up some noticeable gains with the MagnaFlow I would spend my money on increasing the air intake and up grading the ignition system.

You will gain more HP with spending less money then you would with installing the headers. The power band on the headers will depend on which type you install.

·
Registered
322 Posts
When I installed a set of Gibson headers on my 4.7 it actually quieted my exhaust down! I have the GS Motorsports true duals and with the stock manifolds it had a real raspy sound at WOT.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Heraders don't change the volume. They may change the tone a little.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Neil said:
Heraders don't change the volume. They may change the tone a little.
I disagree with you on this.
But to describe it better, it was more MELLOW with the headers than without .....alot more MELLOW...... my truck no longer sounded like an old beater with glasspacks!
The headers changed the tone quite a bit. At the time I put the headers on though I was still running the Spintech mufflers that come with the GSM kit. I have since replaced them with a set of 3 chamber Flowmasters.

·
Registered
105 Posts
mopar rt said:
I would spend my money on increasing the air intake and up grading the ignition system.

Just a side question here. Is there an ignition upgrade for the 4.7L? And if so where to find it. I have looked all over but have found nothing.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I believe that MSD sells an upgrade for the 4.7. Take a look at the Stacker Ignition System it’s designed for multiple coil systems. Call their tech line at 915-855-7123.

·
July Truck of the Month
8,227 Posts
Checkout v8performance.com
I think they might have something you're looking for

1 - 9 of 9 Posts