Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Now Nitrous Injected!!!
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 5.2L and want some headers. Now i know everyone likes the mopar and gsmotorsports ones. I have been looking at gibsons. I saw where they give you like 40HP and 40 Lbs torque that sound really good but what is the dyno for mopar and GS ones. I would really like to know before i buy some.

·
Gas Guzlin and Tire smoke
716 Posts
you might see those numbers but you will have to have like a 408 stroker with a blower and all kinds of crazy stuff and youll have to have the stock ones on there and switch them out with the gibson headers....

·
Now Nitrous Injected!!!
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i want some good header b/c mine are stock.

·
Home Owner....
1,722 Posts
Yellow318 said:
I have a 99 5.2L and want some headers. Now i know everyone likes the mopar and gsmotorsports ones. I have been looking at gibsons. I saw where they give you like 40HP and 40 Lbs torque that sound really good but what is the dyno for mopar and GS ones. I would really like to know before i buy some.

ill throw a :bs2: flag on those numbers there from Gibson. there headers are nothing more than tubular stockers.

for the 5.2, get a set of MOPAR/PPH`s from Sam P at www.socaldakota.com
these will be the best bet on your motor, even in the future when ya add some more mods, eben if its just that basic bolt ons everyone does

Hooker has some nice long tubes but unless you are way modded or got a power adder of some sort, over kill. so are the GSM`s on a 5.2

·
Registered
389 Posts
I guess I should feel good, because my truck came with the out-of-production Kenne Bell headers. One of the club mechanics told me they're worth a bundle, and if I ever sell the truck or wreck it, save the headers.

Yellow318, since you're located in Alabama you might want to deal with someone a bit closer. I recommend John Mercedes at www.southeastperformance.com here in Florida.
John has procured a few things for me since I've gotten my truck, and he's a wealth of information. He also has a decent shop where he cuts heads and custom cam grinds. He'll be doing a 408 for me later this year.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
razman131 said:
ill throw a :bs2: flag on those numbers there from Gibson. there headers are nothing more than tubular stockers.
Tubular stockers? The stock is a log style manifold. Gibson and other aftermarket headers are hardly stock style.

·
G.F.Y racing president
6,587 Posts
Yellow318 said:
headers will not give you numbers like that, like what someone else said on this thread, only time youll see numbers like that is in the ultra high horspower motors...

i had a set of flowtechs on my 5.2 ram, i liked them. was a bitch to get them on, but once on, they atayed there... :banana2:

sounded good too.

·
Now Nitrous Injected!!!
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
G.F.Y racing president
6,587 Posts
ahh good old jc crapney!!

·
adicted to GT4
93 Posts
Just for an idea on how they get those numbers, as they did infact dyno a 40HP, 40ft/lb increase, let me explain it as it was done for a set of headers developed for my old car.

The car club I am a member of had a set of headers developed for a 2.5L V6 since none were on the market. They showed a dyno gain of 22hp/18ftlbs. Now I have seen videos of the before and after dyno, and I was trying to figure this out, so I started looking into it. Much like every other aftermarket performance part out there, they were not carb legal (no big deal) but they were tested on a california car that had more restriction in the stock manifolds and downpipes in the form of 3 extra precats. If you atch more intently, you also notice that in the second video of them testing it, he was running a test pipe in place of the cat. So basically what they did was remove all of the restrictive emissions equipment off of a california car, and say that therre headers are responcible for that amount of horespower.

Actual installs and dynos of the headers we had done netted 17hp and 16ftlbs on one car, but only when combined with a full cat back.

I would guess the 40hp claim here is similarly done, they can back it up, but only if tehy use a cali emmision spec vehicle and remove all of the restrictive emissions equipment.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

·
Home Owner....
1,722 Posts
Neil said:
Tubular stockers? The stock is a log style manifold. Gibson and other aftermarket headers are hardly stock style.

ya, the stock manifolds are the log style... but the shorty headers are not really worth the $$$ IMO. for the same price, if not >$100 more ya can get a set of MOPAR/PPH headers offa either Ebay, R/T boards or a vendor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.