Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a moderately priced but 'flashy' head unit.

Doesn't need Ipod connection though it'll probably have it no matter what at this point.

And by flashy I don't mean covered in chrome and lights flashing everywhere, but something classy, discrete, touch screen or even a flip out. (JVC has a new head unit that has a proximity sensor so that when your hand gets near, the head unit lights up. the buttons on it are flat but work the same way that the PS3 ones do).

This is going into my DD...

·
I hate you people.
2,837 Posts
:huh:Don't know what to tell you what to get. I've had nothing but Sony head units in the three vehicles I've primarily driven(my old 94 Dak, my 03 Neon, and my 03 Dakota). The Neon's headunit is an older model I got a few years ago that had not only AUX jack in the front, it also has the USB port and Ipod connection cable as part of the headunit. The integrated Ipod cable makes for simplicity but you have to figure out how to route it in the dash or out into the cabin(was able to do this since the Gen II Neon's center stack panel has a square hole in the bottom of the plate, I routed the cable through that hole and had an easy connection to my Ipod:D ). The one in my 03 Dakota does not have the Ipod cable, only the AUX jack and USB port.
What I am getting at is most headunits these days will only have the AUX jack and USB port.

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
:huh:Don't know what to tell you what to get. I've had nothing but Sony head units in the three vehicles I've primarily driven(my old 94 Dak, my 03 Neon, and my 03 Dakota). The Neon's headunit is an older model I got a few years ago that had not only AUX jack in the front, it also has the USB port and Ipod connection cable as part of the headunit. The integrated Ipod cable makes for simplicity but you have to figure out how to route it in the dash or out into the cabin(was able to do this since the Gen II Neon's center stack panel has a square hole in the bottom of the plate, I routed the cable through that hole and had an easy connection to my Ipod:D ). The one in my 03 Dakota does not have the Ipod cable, only the AUX jack and USB port.
What I am getting at is most headunits these days will only have the AUX jack and USB port.[/QUOTE]

when u buy cheap yes. sony headunit/car stereo=cheap.

i have only run alpines and a pioneer or 2. never had a problem with alpines, i love them. but it all depends on ur price range.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
What I am getting at is most headunits these days will only have the AUX jack and USB port.[/QUOTE]

when u buy cheap yes. sony headunit/car stereo=cheap.

i have only run alpines and a pioneer or 2. never had a problem with alpines, i love them. but it all depends on ur price range.
That's bullshit. I've done many systems, and higher end Sonys, Clarions, and some Alpines sound the best and are the best quality. Pioneer are ok, Kenwood are ok. Main thing you look for is the pre-amp voltage. The higher the better quality the unit is.

·
SDMF
22,245 Posts
Hey luc shoot me a PM I got a pioneer that has the Ipod hook ups and everything. I'll grab it out of the closet and make a deal with you

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Banned
7,625 Posts

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
I just put a new Pioneer in my Daily Driver, and it's pretty damn nice. I've always ran pioneers, so I can't say anything about other brands, other than my other Dakota had a Sony Xplod in it when I bought it, and literally, I stopped on the side of the highway, yanked it out of the dash and threw it out of the window on the way home.

This is my Pioneer in my Daily.. It has the front USB and front AUX jack, I didn't really need the front USB either, but the front AUX jack was a must for my Sirius Satellite Radio.

Midway down the page you'll see my post and pic - http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107034

And here's where I bought it, same price and all..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer...Deck/9197175.p?id=1218056226379&skuId=9197175

·
99 Durango 5.9 part out
1,252 Posts
That's bullshit. I've done many systems, and higher end Sonys, Clarions, and some Alpines sound the best and are the best quality. Pioneer are ok, Kenwood are ok. Main thing you look for is the pre-amp voltage. The higher the better quality the unit is.
If you're going to run amps that is.

·
No habla jibber jabber
6,585 Posts
shit cheap doesnt matter, i got a no name for free from a friend and thing works great just need better speakers and not a problem except i have it jerry rigged cause it didnt have the metal thing to clamp it to head unit holder so it skips on big bumps cause it shakes around but that my fault not the radios fault.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Yeah you could say you get what you pay for...

But to be quite honest my $80 Sony GTX120 works fine with no problems whatsoever, bought it shortly after I got the truck in '07. Sounds great even through my oem door speakers. All it has extra is a AUX input jack on the front, I use it to run my mp3 player through. Running a single sub and amp off of it as well.

·
My horns hold up my halo!
5,992 Posts
ive had one sony and fried it with in 6 months..... pioneer was in a old Taurus till i rolled it and shorted it out do to water and soda. i now have a alpine that been in 2 of my trucks and its held up sense. alpine also has the best tuning ability (IMO) so that when you want to hook up some "bumps" in your speed racer they will hear the music.... not the BBBRRRRRRRRrrrrrrr of the 3" cat back exhaust!

ZOOM ZOOM

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
i had 1 sony amp and 1 sony headunit...headunit died after like a month and the amp almost caught fire and a preamp blew.

kole audio amp=garbage, had one of them actually catch fire.

pioneer i never had problems with but the wound quality isnt as good as alpine. my buddy had a 700$ pioneer and we hooked up my 8 year old alpine and his system honestly was louder and sounded better(he has like 6000 into his system)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've always had great luck with my old Alpine, had it in 3 cars and has yet to fail me. I've had friends though with lower end pioneers and sonys and even a JVC that up and died. I'd like to try one of those new JVC Kamelions because I always wanted one of the old ones.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've had one Alpine that worked very well never gave me any problems, currently I am using a JVC. I am extremely happy with it. This is the second JVC I have owned and never had a problem with either. Got mine set up with the IPOD interface. I ran the cable from the back of the stereo into the glove box and just have my ipod in there (very stealth)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a Alpine in my last dakota and loved it. Worked awesome, sounded good and always worked. In my current dakota I bought a Sony one and it was complete junk. It wasn't a cheap one either. Never worked properly. If I get a new one over the summer its going to be an Alpine.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
and there ya go. I still need to look and see if I have a factory amp.
Preamp Outputs 4-channel
Preamp Voltage 2 volts
Subwoofer Preamp Outputs No

would something like this be a problem for someone like myself who will run two amps?

http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_613KVT514/Kenwood-KVT-514.html?tp=20218&avf=N

and ill have to buy it off their US website and have it shipped someway to Canada. Refurb's only from US and is 300$ cheaper.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts