Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
goin through the same thing as west cost kev with warped heads. i plan on replacing them myself(everybody pray for me) just wanted to get a check list to make sure i have everything needed. other than the new heads what are thing i will definitely need to replace?

1) head and intake gaskets
2)head blolts

on a side note i'm comparing re-manufactured heads for 600$ vs salvage yard heads for 300. remans come with a warranty but the salvage yards cost half as much and it's the same amount of work if either fails. would you guys spend the extra money?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Are both of yours warped?
How much? What did the shop say?
I am just curious... PM me if you want...
Kevin

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
you dont need intake gaskets they are resued unless they are torn. you will need new head gaskets, header gaskets, oil, oil filter, and coolant. depending on you mileage it might be a good time to get a new timing kit and replace all those parts. The gasket for the front cover might need to be replaced, but normally it can be reused.

and just a FYI...
the gasket kit from the dealer comes with gaskets for the valve covers, exhaust manifolds, TB, intake manifold, and for the heads.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kev i haven't started the tear down yet so i'm not sure. it over heated pretty badly though. i hear to have them machined at a decent shop around here will run about 300. so it's cheaper to get salvage ones or i actually found some on ebay for around $530/pair shipped after 10% back.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Just turn the key to the run position and the pump pressurizes the rail. Then to RELIEVE the pressure I just put a rag in my hand and push the relief on the passengers side of the rail. I use the rag to prevent it from spraying all over the place... You can do that to let air out of the system if there is air in it. Turn the key then turn it off, let the pressure out of the rail and repeat until you get straight fuel. Normally once is enough,

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Good thread!

I am preparing to do the same as well. My 4.7 overheated so badly it let a couple valve seats loose, dinged up some valves, etc. I haven't riven the truck in 6 months, and I should have the heads back this week hopefully. Finally got around to getting it fixed!

I see head bolts on your list, are they torque-to-yield bolts?

I bought a head gasket kit from the parts store, haven't opened it yet but I assume it will have all I need. I also picked up a water pump gasket.

·
Grab life by the horns
1,033 Posts
Another idea you can do to relieve fuel oil pressure is to take out the fuel pump relay and attempt to start the vechicle. That should remove almost all of the pressure

·
Registered
118 Posts
guess im in the 'blown head gasket' club now as well..
only difference is this is my 2nd motor.. so i have the original w/ perfect heads :mullet: lucky me
and since the orig engine thas sittin on the ground never overheated even once, i can use the bolts from that engine also.
just gotta get new head gaskets, and possibly radiator. ill hafta bypass the heater core, could use alil info on that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.