Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
O.K Long story. about 2 months after i bought my truck my truck's cat went bad. At the time i didn't know what went wrong so the next day i took it to a transmition guy to have him look at it. Well all he could find was that i had a couple of missfires. I had him do a tune up since it had 70k miles on it. the guy said that he didn't know if that would take care of the problem or not since nothing happend when he had it for 2 days. When i got it back everything seemed fine but after driving it a couple of hours if it didn't mess up in the middle of no where!!! Now this was bad you could hear my radiator a boiling inside the cab and the temp was redline.

After this is when it seemed that i was losing antifreeze well I checked everything and couldn't find nothing! I was thinking that it was my water pump but it's like 70 -80 bucks with the core charge so i decided to get a thermostat and a rad. cap since both were cheap and i wanted the 180* Tstat. well amazingly it stopped. (by the way all this was towards the end of summer begining of fall)

but now since it's starting to get warm outside again i'm noticing that it's starting to leak again.

so i guess it looks like i might have to get a water pump but why didn't it leak during the winter??????

·
Scared? We're all scared
168 Posts
where was it leaking from? i didn't see where you say. more than likely, because of the colder weather, it didn't get hot enough to leak.

T

·
0 Posts
Your water pump gasket is bad. I would replace the water pump along with the gasket instead of just the gasket. To bad you don't live near me I could get you a discount on that water pump. Thought I would throw that in there. :D

·
Scared? We're all scared
168 Posts
not that difficult at all.

just drain the remaining antifreeze/water/coolant mix from the radiator, undo the serpentine belt, then the water pump.

i would loosen the bolts that connect the fan to the pump with the belt still on, only because it is a pain to loosen once the pump is off the truck. (this is if you have a fan that connects to the water pump)

the gasket should come with it. but check with the parts house first to be on the safe side.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found my rad. hoses they run about $15 each give or take a few $$. But I still don't know which water pump I need

T

·
0 Posts
Who are you going though to get your water pump. I know that when I bought my water pump it came with a gasket to.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
problably auto zone since they only have 2 choice new and rebuilt.

Advance auto parts gives you a choice of with pulley bolt on pulley and some thing else.

But i guess i'll just take my old one off and take it with me to get the new one. I was going to try and avoid this since I'll be doing this at my dads and it's about a 30 min ride to the parts store.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well since i'm holding off on the water pump for a while I losend my radiator cap like half a turn so that the pressure wouldn't build up and the fluid would just flow. Well when I turned off the truck there was antifreze just flowing out of the top of the cap. So i poped the hood and quickly tighted my cap back on.

Why did it start overflowing if there was no pressure?:huh:

A

·
0 Posts
the water over flowed, because when you run your truck, the water still heats up,and the water expands, thats why it comes out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts