Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving in 2wd when all of the sudden I hear this horrible grinding sound coming from the front end. It did this a couple times on the way home. I crawled under the truck to take a look and the drivers side cv shaft is hanging off the splined shaft coming out of the side of the differential. It must have worked its way over the snap ring and slid off enough start stripping the last inch off of the splines. I just replaced that cv shaft but did not replace the snap ring as it did not say to in the manual. I am positive that I got the new shaft over the snap ring when I put it on. This is a horrible design dodge has on this dakotas in my opinion. In order to get out of my driveway every morning its steep gravel and I have to almost lock the wheels in a left turn and use 4wd to get out, so could this have caused stress on the snap ring and allowed the cv shaft to pop off? Also I think its odd this grinding happened in 2wd going down the road. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
375 Posts
its a poor design on chryslers hand with that axle shaft. same shit happened to me a year ago, and there should be a thread floating around here, happened to another member. it's because theres no seal at the splines were the half shaft (cv) and axle shaft inter connect. water gets in and rusts out the splines. i got updated parts from my transmission rebuilder. $500 for the parts. off the damn wall.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn Chrysler needs to have a recall on this shit. I'm pretty sure on the Chevy's the cv axle bolts to the differential.

·
MUDDIGGER
904 Posts
i know the cv axle bolted to the front diff on my durango? are dakotas different or something?

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
i know the cv axle bolted to the front diff on my durango? are dakotas different or something?
they must be. i just did the CV on my 02 and it slid onto the axle shaft. my GMC had the plate to plate bolt design. great for replacing the cv shaft... horrible if you need to replace the axle oil seal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer got back to me. They only sell the updated parts. You can no longer order just one shaft. You have to order both sides and an o-ring. Parts total $585 for both shafts. Looks like I now have a 2wd Dakota. I'm seriously considering welding that cv axle to the shaft and see how it holds up. Sounds ******* I know.

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
Dealer got back to me. They only sell the updated parts. You can no longer order just one shaft. You have to order both sides and an o-ring. Parts total $585 for both shafts. Looks like I now have a 2wd Dakota. I'm seriously considering welding that cv axle to the shaft and see how it holds up. Sounds ******* I know.

sounds like a classic "dealer crock of crap." the ONE cv shaft for mine, brand new, not reman, was like $70 bucks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts