Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of thinking through a C-Notch on my 2001 Dak R/T. I originally thought it was going to be a piece of cake but after looking under the truck for a bit I found that on the 2001's there is a piece of steel reinforcing the frame where I would need to cut and on the one side all of the brake lines are routed right where I'd have to cut. I'm trying to see if anyone has done this yet to see if there are any further snags to doing this project. Anyone?

Ryan H.

·
Drop and destroy!!
404 Posts
I did a mild C-notch on my truck and you have to cut into those braces. If I remember the most difficult side will be the drivers side because of all the brake lines, tail light wiring and such. Pull them up and out of the way to make the cut on that side.

Don't cut the bracing completely out. Cut it at the same angles as you would with the outer frame to fit the C-notch in there.

Most importantly........ Measure twice and cut once.

·
Speed Freak
269 Posts
I just did it on my 02 R/T 2 weeks ago. Like Alta said the drivers side is the toughest and it also helps to have someone with a plasma torch LOL. Had to do mine with an air die grinder. Needled to say it took a bit longer :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I figure when I do mine I won't have access to a torch so I'll be working with a sawzall and a 4.5" grinder. The sawzall will be a little sloppy but I can clean it all up with the grinder. How bad was it to relocate the brake lines? Is it just brakelines there? I'm gonna find a weekend and a couple of buddies and pull the bed and just hack into it I think.

Ryan H.

·
Speed Freak
269 Posts
The die grinder actually wasn't too bad. Worked pretty good. On the brake line I just zipped tied it really tight to the frame rail so it didn't sake around. I tried a sawzall and it didn't work very good. Try using the thinest blade possible so ya can turn the thing. I couldn't turn the blade enough. Have fun with the c-notch.

·
Drop and destroy!!
404 Posts
*You don't need to pull the bed off to install a C-notch*

Installing a "C-section" yes! Installing a C-notch, no!

That's kinda like a "make work" project if your'e gonna do that.

Jack the truck up and support it off the ground with jack stands on the frame and let the suspension hang. If you need more room to work in there, unbolt the shocks at the rear axle to let the suspension hang down even further.

The best way to cut into the frame is by drilling two holes through your frame at the point where the upper part of the C-notch is at the two points. Then simply take your angle grinder and start from the bottom of the frame and cut up to one of the drilled holes. Repeat this process again for the other drilled hole then straight across from hole to hole to complete the cut for the C-notch.

Make sense? :cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A C-Section is a medical procedure ;-)

I get what you're saying. We might remove the bed just to make it easier on those involved but I could see where it can be done without taking it off. How hard is it to relocate those brake lines?

Ryan H.

·
Drop and destroy!!
404 Posts
rheersch said:
A C-Section is a medical procedure ;-)

I get what you're saying. We might remove the bed just to make it easier on those involved but I could see where it can be done without taking it off. How hard is it to relocate those brake lines?

Ryan H.
:) Yeah..... OK smart guy. Technically a C-section is a medical procedure. Jeesh, I hate dealin with you R/T guys. Everthing hasta be just so matter of fact and perfect. LOL

The brake lines should be bent up enough to make the cut and also after the C-notch is done they will be able to be bent up enough to clear it.

Just make sure that they will not rub on the notch to possibly wear a hole through the line over time. Shouldn't be a problem cause there is enough room.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Notching

All of you have great knowledge of notching. There is only one thing wrong: No one has asked or told how big of a notch is being installed? In the next couple of months I plan on installing a 10" or 11" notch (to lay 22s) and a complete four link. If you are just doing a in frame notch, then you should be OK to leave everything in place. I'm not a professional, just looking at a questions that has not been asked.

Later,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts