Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is just "how it is" with the V8 automatic trucks, but does anyone else have the sharp "whump" sensation when shifting out of park into D or R? It's not a "clunk" like a bad u-joint, it's just more of a sensation of a hard shift loading up the drivetrain. Most automatic vehicles I've driven it's more progressive, for lack of a better term, making it not hit you in the back like a ton of bricks when the torque hits the drivetrain all in one sharp engagement.

It's so bad I've taken to putting it into drive with my foot off the brake to take some of the impact off the drive train loading up against the brakes.

And no, the idle isn't too high, it's usually in the 500-800rpm range, if it was idling at like 1500rpm I could see that being the problem.

If this is normal that's fine, I'm just worried about the longevity of u-joints and such if it's not normal.

Thanks,

MattB

·
Registered
558 Posts
I would check engine and trans mounts. Check backlash in rear axle also. Most Dodge trucks I've owned have clunked when put into gear, but not as bad as you make yours sound.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I dunno, I could just be being paranoid. I had a horrible feeling of dread this afternoon when I remote started my truck from the house 1-2 minutes before I went out and heard a little cold-engine lifter tick... in 35 degree weather... with 10w30 dino oil in the truck... with 138k on the engine. ;)

Another thing that makes me paranoid is a rattle at idle that comes and goes, but goes away whenever off idle and usually when in park. I know it's probably just a heat shield rattling but the paranoid in me makes me worry something is loose in the torque converter or something, heh.

I would check engine and trans mounts. Check backlash in rear axle also. Most Dodge trucks I've owned have clunked when put into gear, but not as bad as you make yours sound.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The more I think about it the more I wonder if it is indeed the trans mount. Plus the part is cheap and it can't hurt to replace it, but how hard is it to get to? I need to get under the truck to re-install my skidplates anyhow so I might as well do it while I'm under there.

Thanks,

MattB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts