Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks!

My Wife's Durango (4.7l V8, 2002) has been plagued with hard starting for about a year now. She has to floor the gas to get it to start when cranking it. We smell gas (duh) but it will start. It also chugs for the first 20-30 feet until we give it gas.

We also have a P0441 - Evap leak. I am not sure if this could cause anything...?

Anyway, I am thinking possibly a leaky injector since we smell gas OR the fuel pump? It almost seems like it's losing prime though since once it's warm we can restart it no issues within 5-10 minutes so I am leaning towards the fuel pump. I know there is a check valve in the module, is there any other check valve on the tank or anything that can be serviced?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have the same vehicle.
My memory fades but I replaced the fuel pump back in 2011. Going strong since.
This was what I used.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CGHZLO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

One quick check.
Turn the key to ON.
You should hear it prime. (If not, you have a problem)
Assuming you can hear it.
Then do that two more times, and on the third time see if it starts any easier.
If it starts a bit easier, then you are probably correct about the prime.

You can easily do a fuel pressure check too. There is a schrader valve port on the injector rail on the drivers side.
A leaky injector is something you want to fix.

·
MADR/T Member
743 Posts
Fuel pump has a valve in it that's causing the fuel system to lose prime after it sits. Mine has the same issue. You can replace the valve only, but it's sitting right on the fuel pump and as long as you've got access to the fuel pump, you may as well replace it.

My work around is to crank it over for about a second, wait a few seconds and crank it again. Starts right up on the second crank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright after much deliberation I decided to replace the pump. The job overall was not that bad as I had access to a lift and transmission jack. Side note: the pump seems a ton louder than my old one. It's a masterpro if that means anything. https://youtu.be/Xejd_l37CVk

Is that abnormal?

Unfortunately that didn't fix the issue so now I am thinking it's a fuel injector issue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Fuel pump has a valve in it that's causing the fuel system to lose prime after it sits. Mine has the same issue. You can replace the valve only, but it's sitting right on the fuel pump and as long as you've got access to the fuel pump, you may as well replace it.

My work around is to crank it over for about a second, wait a few seconds and crank it again. Starts right up on the second crank.
Mine does this same thing. (2000 Durango 5.9L)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about the new pump? Doesn't it seem a little... loud? I mean, it could be since it's the Orielley's house brand pump and not as high quality but I just haven't had enough experience to know. Thanks!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Did you not do a fuel pressure check first before going to all of that work?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose I forgot to mention that. I did and it came in at around 40-42 which was like... right on the line of acceptable per the shop manual. I don't have it in front of me but I think it was like 50 +- 5. It was a super easy thing to test, the local parts shop loans out the gauge. Ultimately, I think the pump may have been on the way out anyway but I still have the hard starting. I suppose with how loud the new one is I am worried that one is going to crap out too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes your pump seems pretty loud. We have a fleet of these things at work and I know from experience that O’reilly / Autozone pumps last a few months to a few years.

The factory Mopar one in the truck faithfully lasts around 15-20 years before it finally wears out.

Guess what I put back in them? ;-)

·
Registered
599 Posts
OK. Back to the original symptom.

There are only a few things that can be happening.

Fuel
Air
Spark (plugs and ignition coils)
Compression
Timing

Please define hard starting. How many seconds of cranking to get it to start?
Does it show the symptom every time?
Is there any difference whether the engine is hot or cold?
Any smoke from exhaust?
What color is the smoke if present?
How long have the spark plugs been in it?
Have you pulled the plugs and inspected / gapped them?
Any codes? (Key on/off, on/off, on to read them in the ODO)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Before you go through all of the above:

If you spritz the air filter with starting fluid does it crank immediately, or is it still hard to start?

Starts instantly? You have a fuel system issue.

If it doesn’t, you’re looking for ignition issues, and the like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please define hard starting. How many seconds of cranking to get it to start?
**Oh I'd say it's a good 5-7 seconds UNLESS we floor the gas. If you time it right with the gas it will start up right away, otherwise you're cranking for 5-7 seconds and it chugs really bad until you give it some gas.
Does it show the symptom every time?
**Yes/no. If we have been driving and shut it off, if we come back within say 10-15 minutes, it will start right up.
Is there any difference whether the engine is hot or cold?
**See above. If it's cold/hasn't been started in 30 minutes or more, it does it.
Any smoke from exhaust?
**There is a slight puff of white-ish smoke upon start. It doesn't smell like oil or coolant.
What color is the smoke if present?
**White-ish
How long have the spark plugs been in it?
**Actually just replaced them 2 weeks ago with copper plugs.
Have you pulled the plugs and inspected / gapped them?
**Yes. The #6 was quite difficult to get out. I had to soak in penetrating oil and crank on it pretty hard. It looks dirtier than the rest - possibly burnt oil (maybe fuel?) but it wasn't "terrible."
Any codes? (Key on/off, on/off, on to read them in the ODO)
**P0441 - Evap leak.

I will try the starter fluid trick when I get home!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey people! Quick update: It was indeed a leaky fuel injector... #6 to be exact. I rocked the fuel rail off and keyed it on and with paper towels under the injectors and lo and behold, #6 was leaking. I replaced it and now it starts like a champ! Woo!

·
Registered
149 Posts
**There is a slight puff of white-ish smoke upon start. It doesn't smell like oil or coolant.
Hey people! Quick update: It was indeed a leaky fuel injector.
Thanks for your thread. Reminds me to take a good look at my plugs.

I don't have any hard starting going on, but a few weeks ago I was getting a good sized puff of whitish smoke occasionally when accelerating from a stop, or now and then when starting. The truck has over 300K, so at first I thought rings, or head gasket. I never let my oil get low though and It didn't smell like burning oil or coolant. It didn't smell like anything really. So now you've got me thinking I need to check the plugs and injectors. I've got a few injectors I snagged at the junkyard. I've also got a block tester... just waiting to get the blue test fluid for it. It hasn't happened lately though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts