Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im totally new to this site and am starting of with a shot out for assistance. I have a 2004 4.7L dakota with 100,000 kms. Lately is seems cold starts are fine and running around is relatively normal at operating temperatures. Sometimes at idle it will flutter down to 400-500rpm and ramp up to normal. This is only sometimes. When it is warm and i try to restart it wont catch. It turns over great but just wont go, it will sometimes sputter for 2-3 seconds but no go. Rarely if only stopped for 5 minutes it will do a warm start. No noticable change in performance or mileage. What gives? Thanks in advance.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
The drop in RPM at idle is probably a dirty or bad IAC valve. Clean it with some carb cleaner and see if that fixes that issue.

The start issue, I would rent a fuel pressure gauge from your local autoparts store and fun a fuel pressure test. Your fuel pump may be on its way out. Good luck...

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Thanks man! Sounds expensive, or at least labor intensive.
Neither diagnostic procedures I recommended are expensive or labor intensive. Cleaning an IAC valve is very easy and only takes about 10 minutes (including removing & reinstalling the IAC valve). Carb cleaner is really inexpensive. As for the fuel pressure gauge, when you return the tool you get your money back. So its effectively free. The test itself is also about 10 minutes. Good luck...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts