Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello so my aunt wants to trade her 03 dakota sxt ex cab v6 for my 98 durango 5.9L 4wd slt+

The dakota my grandpa bought new and died shorty after getting it maybe drove it 800 miles my aunt gets the truck drives alot from state to state now has 100k its in good shape minus tree dented cap lil bit has carpet bedliner and tonneau cover 2 new tires

The durango i bought it in 08 with 99k to pull a trailer back from chicago to portland and been driving ever sinces has rust on it theres whole in the bumper and pass fender and wheel wheels in rear are getting there Just had the trans rebuilt new reflex shocks all around tires are like 30% have headers and flowmaster on it, 121k miles now, also t/s lift

My question would it be good trade i know hers in way better shape but i do pull a 14 ft trailer with quads and stuff since i cant haul my quad in my durango so that would be a plus and if i were to v8 the truck later or add a few mods to get alittle more hp not sure what mods

heres the dakota with my 14ft trailer i tow

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
is the kota 4x4? if the kota only had like 50k on it or something, i would just because its a lot newer than your rango. but mileage is pretty much equal within a few thousand. and if you just rebuilt the trans, thats your money your throwin away by gettin rid of it. My 04 was a regular cab with the V6 (lighter to begin with) and pullin my sled on a small utility trailer you could def tell that it put a decent load on the truck. when i had my toolbox in it (about 850 lbs) it actually didnt squat too bad and drove pretty decent tho. you can always get helper springs. me personally, i wouldnt give up a 4x4 V8 with a new trans for a V6 kota with about equal mileage, just my .02

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope its 2wd i just was figering it is newer and worth more and i dont realy need 7 pass suv but i do love the power not the gas miles and the durango is rusting perrty bad but she dont care shes moving to kansas and needs somthing to tow and carrie stuff back there
maybe i can get a atv hitch carrier thangy but it would be nice to beable to load y quad and go to the dnes for the day
Its either trade her or keep it and she finds somthing to trade for thats bigger

·
3,230 Posts
not the gas miles
even in my 04 reg cab, i was lucky to see 16 mpg. IMO, the few mpgs you save with a V6 isnt worth it. its not like your going from 12 to 20 mpg by goin to a smaller engine.

·
don't feed the bears
10,668 Posts
i pull a small trailer with a couple atvs, a set of meaty 33s and all my frends and their shat in my v6!! its a dog and sucks on brakes and gas (12 mpg if im lucky) but it gets the job done!

(we take my buddies much smaller more fuel efficient ranger for the long hauls)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
v8 v6 isnt big deal cuz i can do v8 swap but its the 4wd getting me herm i just dont know i could sell it later but its in way better shape i just dont know lol

·
3,230 Posts
puttin all that time and money to swap a V8 into a truck with over 100k on it alreadyseems like kind of a waste to me, but its your choice. if you can get an 8 cheap enough i guess it wouldnt be so bad.

·
My horns hold up my halo!
5,992 Posts
i would stick with the V8....

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
the Dak would still be "worth" more in the book! I'd trade. if nothin else your aunt gettin the fresh trans is a lil "insurance" that you wont have to go "rescue" her along the road; 100K mostly highway miles does NOT scare me one bit.
My 90 Dak (non magnum V6) wasn't a " powerhouse" but I beat it, it took it, never let me down and was consistent 20MPG (not towing though) with the way I drive thats saying something.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
is the kota 4x4? if the kota only had like 50k on it or something, i would just because its a lot newer than your rango. but mileage is pretty much equal within a few thousand. and if you just rebuilt the trans, thats your money your throwin away by gettin rid of it. My 04 was a regular cab with the V6 (lighter to begin with) and pullin my sled on a small utility trailer you could def tell that it put a decent load on the truck......

Don't forget, the 04 had the 3.7, which was 30+ more hp than the v6 it replaced.

You won't be happy in the end with that deal. :sorry:

·
5 Door Whore #215
760 Posts
id say do it. kbb said 5360 for the dakota and 3775 for the durango both in good condition. so i would say do the trade and sell the dakota and buy a better durango

·
3,230 Posts
id say do it. kbb said 5360 for the dakota and 3775 for the durango both in good condition. so i would say do the trade and sell the dakota and buy a better durango
it may be worth more but do you wanna get it just to make 1k off the kota, then have to start all over again modding a V8? id say keep it and run the rango

1 - 12 of 12 Posts